No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Getting error message: "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable"

This question is answered This question is answered

I have 6 accounts, and the integration of 5 was painless.

However for the sixth one I am getting the following message.

“The action cannot be completed.  The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable.  Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.”

Verified Answer
  • Hi Vikas Varma,

Based on your description, if you are receiving the error message as “The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.”, please try to manually update or create your Outlook profile with RPC encryption.

Here are the steps for you in Outlook 2010.

1.In Control Panel, open the Mail item.

2.Click Show Profiles.

3.Select your profile, and then click Properties.

4.Click E-mail Accounts.

5.Select the Microsoft Exchange Server account, and then click Change.

6.In the dialog box that contains your mailbox server and user name, click More Settings.

7.In the Microsoft Exchange dialog box, click the Security tab.

8.Click to select the Encrypt data between Microsoft Office Outlook and Microsoft Exchange check box, and then click OK.

For detailed steps about this possible solution for Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2003, please refer to the KB below:

support.microsoft.com/.../2006508

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• To add to Anna's great advice I would also recommend that you have ensured the 6th client has run the "Configure Desktopn Apps" to ensure the client is properly configuredd for Office 365 onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff637594.aspx

All Replies
  • Hi Vikas Varma,

Based on your description, if you are receiving the error message as “The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.”, please try to manually update or create your Outlook profile with RPC encryption.

Here are the steps for you in Outlook 2010.

1.In Control Panel, open the Mail item.

2.Click Show Profiles.

3.Select your profile, and then click Properties.

4.Click E-mail Accounts.

5.Select the Microsoft Exchange Server account, and then click Change.

6.In the dialog box that contains your mailbox server and user name, click More Settings.

7.In the Microsoft Exchange dialog box, click the Security tab.

8.Click to select the Encrypt data between Microsoft Office Outlook and Microsoft Exchange check box, and then click OK.

For detailed steps about this possible solution for Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2003, please refer to the KB below:

support.microsoft.com/.../2006508

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• To add to Anna's great advice I would also recommend that you have ensured the 6th client has run the "Configure Desktopn Apps" to ensure the client is properly configuredd for Office 365 onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff637594.aspx

• Hi Vikas Varma,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Im having the same issue

“The action cannot be completed.  The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable.  Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.”

but im using MICROSOFT OUTLOOK 2013

All of the Microsoft Office applications are working like word,excel, powerpoint etc. Outlook is the only problem

• I was getting the same error “The action cannot be completed.  The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable.  Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action” with Outlook 2010. I tried deleting the profile and crearubf a new one. During the test, the server could be connected to. When really attempting to start Outlook 2010 I got the error again “The action cannot be completed.  The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable.  Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action” .

So instead I figured to try creating a new profile on a system where Outlook and mail was working correctly with the account that was having troubles. This worked without a problem, so I figured I'd try repairing Outlook 2010. After repair everything worked properly again.