No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Updates to Office 365 System Requirements

• This post has 7 Replies |
  • 6 Followers
  •  

Please visit the Office 365 system requirements wiki for the latest information. This post is not current.

The Microsoft Office 365 Online Service supports a variety of different operating systems, web browsers, productivity tools and other client software. For the best possible end-user experience with the Office 365 Online Service, Microsoft recommends you set Windows Update to automatically install recommended updates, and adopt the latest release of software and service packs from Microsoft and third-party software vendors within twelve months of release.

Microsoft is making some revisions to the Office 365 System Requirements so that we can continue to deliver the best and most innovative cloud productivity services in the market. The changes will appear of the official System Requirements page soon.

Newly supported products

Office 365 is adding support for

• Mac OS X 10.7
    • POP & IMAP access via Outlook 2003
    • The latest “Release” version of Mozilla Firefox
    • The latest “Stable” version of Google Chrome

For more information about the addition of Pop3 & IMAP4 access via Outlook 2003, please read this blog post.

Changes to Service Pack Requirements

Office 2010 users will need to deploy Service Pack 1 before June 1, 2012.

Rapid Release Browsers

Both Mozilla and Google have changed the development cycle of their browsers, releasing new versions of Firefox and Chrome respectively every six weeks. With this rapid release cycle, Microsoft will no longer support specific version numbers of these browsers. Instead, users should have the latest production release installed on their computers.

Firefox users should always use the latest production version (known as the “Release” version).

Chrome users should always use the latest production version (known as the “Stable” version).

Aging software

Support for several older software packages is ending. Customers will have six or more months to upgrade to supported versions depending on the product in question. During that time, this software will continue to work with the Office 365, and Support will be able to assist you without you needing to reproduce the issue on more modern software.

Customers should upgrade the following software products to more modern versions before the dates listed below. After these dates, Support will require that you reproduce the issue on supported software, and will not be able to open a ticket if that is not possible.

• October 1, 2012
      • Internet Explorer 7
      • Safari 4 
    • April 9, 2013
      • Office 2008 for Mac
      • Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition for Mac
      • Please note that on April 9, 2013, Microsoft will end all support for both products.
    • January 1, 2013
      • Windows Server 2003 for end-user client access. This does not affect server-specific use
    • January 1, 2014
      • Windows Vista
      • Windows XP
        • Please note that on April 8, 2014 Microsoft will end all support for Windows XP.
    • April 8, 2014
      • Outlook 2003
      • Please note that on April 8, 2014 Microsoft will end all support for Outlook 2003.
    Michael A. O'Neill
    Office 365 Service Upgrade

1 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

• Do you know - can I run Windows XP and convert from OLSB to Office 365, or do I need to upgrade to Windows 7 first?  I've just begun the process and trying to complete by the 30April deadline, have run into this as the first hurdle.  

• Publisher4 ,

You ask this question and there is a post above you that answers your question!

Sorry, BuildItOn365 website has expired. Links to and instructions - no longer exist.

• You don't need to upgrade to Win7 first. WinXP will be supported until 1-JAN-2014.

Michael A. O'Neill
    Office 365 Service Upgrade
  • Can you clarify the part about "Office 2010 users will need to deploy Service Pack 1 before June 1, 2012". Does this mean users without the service pack will not be able to open Outlook and retrieve their email, or does it mean Microsoft will not provide support to users with SP1?

• Good question.

We are not going to block the connection or anything like that. This is really about opening a ticket with support: if you have an issue, a support agent will want to see it reproduced on a computer with SP1 installed.

I'm getting this question a lot from customers and account teams through other venues, so it's something we need to be clearer on in the future.

• Thanks for the quick and clear response, Mike. I was worried that I would have to scramble to get Service Pack 1 installed. Since the BPOS Sign In Client can't configure Outlook if SP1 is installed, I have manually hidden the update on too many computers to count.

• BTW, this is only for Office 365. If you haven't transitioned yet, these system requirements changes don't apply to you until the transition.

That said, I wasn't aware of a dependency with the BPOS sign-in client. I'll get this to the transition team--we'll want to have solid guidance about this scenario for June/July/Aug transitions. Thanks for the info!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)