No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

questions regarding Office365 setup, and accepting of SMTP traffic

• hello,

We have some questions regarding the setup of Office365.

Our customer has a custom application that sends smtp traffic to their onsite mailserver (non-microsoft).
    After that the email is received by the customer's email system, and forwarded towards their onmicrosoft.com mailbox via postfix.

We notice that in this case the smtp traffic is accepted by Office365, but doesn't arrive in the onmicrosoft.com mailbox and we're not able to trace this traffic in FOPE or ECP (office365)
    All we can see is that the Office365 servers accepted the smtp traffic.

Is there an article somewhere available on which email formats are allowed for Office365? (which RFC, etc.) I wasn't able to find this so far.
    Is there something  an extra layer in between our onsite environment, and FOPE that we don't have access to? (since emails seem to disappear in between)

tnx
  • Hi DGoossens,

I understand that the issue is the onmicrosoft mailbox in Office 365 cannot receive the forwarding email from customer's own mail server. Based on my understanding, Office 365 mailboxes will not be able receive email in the first one hour after it was created. Usually the sender will receive a NDR if the email didn't arrive to the recipient. If there is any similar report email, please post it here for further troubleshooting.

In addition, I have found this Wiki article about troubleshooting inbound mail flow to Office 365 which might be helpful for you:

http://community.office365.com/en-us/w/exchange/inbound-mail-flow.aspx

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hello Reken,

The message itself is succesfully transfered towards Office365.

The setup itself happened some months ago, as well as the creation as the onmicrosoft.com mailbox that should be receiving the email.

We don't however see the message arriving in fope (no trace there), and on Office365 ECP

We also don't receive any NDR's for the disappearing messages.

• Hi DGoossens,

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps in the Wiki article I provided in my previous reply? Besides, please check the message format with the Message and Recipient Limits to see if the message exceeds any limits or not.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hi DGoossens,

Is there any updates?

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hello Reken

We checked the steps in the article, but the mail doens't seem to get that far (fope/ecp)

The messages don't exceed the maximum limit allowed.

I didn't check the Multipart message limit yet , but that won't be the case, since it's the same when we send an email via telnet.

I would also expect the Office365 smtp server that accepted the email traffic, would have rejected the mail if it would have hit any of the limits, instead of accepting it?

In our case the Office365 smtp server does accept the emails themselves.

• Hi DGoossens,

Do you mean all the emails sent to your Office 365 account disappear? If so, please test the Inbound and Outbound email with the online test tool https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/, and post the test result here for further troubleshooting.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hello Reken,

No, it's not occuring for all emails, only some of them.

• Hi DGoossens,

For some security reason, FOPE will check the email items which arrived for virus and spam. However, if you can ensure the email items from some STMP server is safe. You can setup New Policy Rule to allow all the email items without checking. Detail information you can see technet.microsoft.com/.../ff715218.aspx

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hello Neo,

We didn't create such a rule yet, but the problem is that this apparently occurs without an NDR.

We've also opened a ticket for this, so if we find a solution, I'll post it here.

• Hi DGoossens,

Yes, I understand that. By using this rule , can ensure the SMTP session/ email deliver without scan. As for this case, I'd like you can work with SR support for this case.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hi DGoossens,

I have sent a private message to you to asking for the ticket number. Would you please send this to us by replying the private message. You can read and reply the private message with the following steps:

• Go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.
     • Click Private messages.
     • Click the subject title of the response to read the message.
     • You can reply by using the form in this display.
     • Click Submit Reply.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hi DGoossens,

I didn't receive the service request number yet. Would you please send it to me with the private message?

Thanks,
    Reken Liu