No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Transition from olsb

This question is answered This question is answered

3 days ago I started to transition to office 365 from olsb. I went to melbourne IT and created a TXT record as the instructions said to do, I didn't see a record when checking so I created what i think was a MX record also. I have been without email since then and my website can't be found. It has been over the 72 hours that is listed on the instuctions.

Do I wait somemore? Give up? Change my name and start a new life? 

I am just a carpenter that would like to have a little web site and some email, This required transition is seams to be more difficult than it realy should be.

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • phil-

I am just a carpenter that would like to have a little web site and some email

then --> Move Somewhere Else

• If the intent was to move to 365, the process is:

Add txt record to verify domain

Wait

When verified, add name server records to host domain at 365

Wait some more

Change domain from free one to custom  

The other records (MX, cname etc) are already preconfigured. 

• Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

Hi Mch,

Thanks for your reply on the forum.

Hi phil,

Before moving on, I would like to confirm the following things to troubleshoot this issue.

1. Are you trying to transfer from Office Live Small Business(OLSB) to Office 365?

Have you followed the steps in the transition guide from this link below?

ask.officelive.com/.../transition.aspx

2. Have your purchased your domain from Office Live? Is your domain registrar Melbourne IT?

If your purchased your domain from Office Live, you could also refer to the link below for how to moving your Office Live domain to Office 365.

VIDEO: Moving your Office Live domain to Office 365

ask.officelive.com/.../video-moving-your-office-live-domain-to-office-365.aspx

Generally, if you would like to use your domain in Office 365, you need to first delete the domain in Microsoft OLSB. After doing this, when you migrate to Office 365, you would be able to add and verify this domain to work in Office 365.

Here are also some links for your reference:

Update on the future of Office Live Small Business

ask.officelive.com/.../update-on-the-future-of-office-live-small-business.aspx

Free Office 365 & Office client offer now available

ask.officelive.com/.../available-today-exclusive-6-month-free-promotional-code-for-olsb-customers.aspx

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• This information is very useful,thanks.

• Hi phil,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi Ken,

Thanks for your advice. I have been learning about  my web site and email options and will move my site to one of the sites you suggest. Can I keep my custom domain hotmail address after May first? (if I can get it back that is) Also when trying to transition to 365 I sent a MX record and haven't had email for a week now. I can't find my MX ####.pamx1.hotmail.com info to go and change it back. I don't see any mx record on my admin page like they say there should be. Every instruction guide from MS seems to be wrong in someway.  I have seen some of your other posts correcting ms support people -Thank you

I believe I followed the directions properly and my web site and email have been gone for a week waiting to see if office 365 could find my TXT and MX records.

Thanks again,

Phil

• phil- ,

Can I keep my custom domain hotmail address?

The business/hotmail account/address will become un-usable as far as messages are concerned.  You will have to recreate those email addresses somewhere else.

See / click --> Keep my OLSB business email accounts?

• Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply on the forum.

Hi Phil,

Just checking in to see if you have any other question.

If so, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo