No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

MX records

• 9 Followers
  • 16 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi,

I can't find MX records, can anyone help me. Trying to keep my web site with existing host, but e-mails I would like to go through Office 365

thanks, Jatz

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Post Points: 50
All Replies
  • Jatz,

Have you attempted contact the support for your domain hosting to determine how to set your MX records?

Bruce DeHaven Microsoft Office 365 Support
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Male
    • Post Points: 0
  • Jatz,

Did you sign up for Office 365 Small Business or Enterprise? The way you configure domains for these types of accounts is different.

With Small Business, you would switch your name server records to point to Office 365 hosted name servers. We will then host DNS records for your domain. To configure it so that your website is hosted elsewhere please refer to: community.office365.com/.../host-your-website-with-another-provider.aspx

If you have an Enterprise account, once you've verified the domain, go in to the domain manager area (Admin >> Domains), click the domain name, and then toggle over to the 'DNS settings' tab. This page lists the various DNS records associated with Exchange and Lync.

- Mike

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Hello

as far I understand, you are trying to configure your internet domain for receiving email on Office 365

you can try this blog.hametbenoit.info/.../Post.aspx

Benoit HAMET

Senior Solutions Architect

MVP Office 365 - MCITP Office 365 - Microsoft Community Contributor

Blog - Twitter

• Top 75 Contributor
  • I tried the steps outlined in this article, but they didn't work.

community.office365.com/.../host-your-website-with-another-provider.aspx

When I tried to enter a new address (A) and typed in the host name as xxxx.hostdomainname.com (where xxxx is the name of the specific DNS server), I received an error: "The domain name that you typed is not valid. Domain names must have at least 4 characters, and can include only letters, numbers, and hyphens."  

The problem is that the domain name IS valid and does only include letters, numbers and hyphens.  This is what is so CRAZY about MS not providing support (even paid support) for the small business plan!  Small businesses probably need support MORE than the enterprises and then if there is a REAL problem with the MS product, there is no one to address it.

• Not Ranked
  • Hello

It seems you are not understanding what you have to do

So, let's say your domain is MYDOMAIN.COM

On Office 365, go to the Admin portal, Management\Domains and click to add the MYDOMAIN.COM

The wizard will check if the domain exist and will return who is the registar

then it will provide your CNAME record to create (ms1234556) which point to Office 365

on your MYDOMAIN.COM management tool (website or whatever), create the CNAME (Alias) ms1234556 with a destination to Office 365

Once the wizard is able to confirm you're the domain owner (Domain verification step) you will be able to finalize the wizard

At the end of this wizard you will have DNS details for use with Office 365

So connect to your MYDOMAIN.COM management tool and add an MX record pointing to Office 365 as shown by the wizard

Benoit HAMET

Senior Solutions Architect

MVP Office 365 - MCITP Office 365 - Microsoft Community Contributor

Blog - Twitter

• Top 75 Contributor
  • I don't think you understand your own support documentation. This document that was linked to does not say what you just said.

community.office365.com/.../host-your-website-with-another-provider.aspx

Your documentation says to enter the Office 365 DNS servers onto our domain and then go in to the Office 365 DNS management console and enter DNS records for the website.  

• Not Ranked
  • Quite, I tend to agree with you.

I want to use Office 365 to host my e-mail only; I want to keep my other servers as they are.

In my case I do not want to delegate the domain to Microsoft, I want to continue to use my current DNS provider.

So, I want to know what I should put in my MX records.

I also want to know if I have to delegate my domain in order to send and receive e-mail using my domain and not the onmicrosoft.com domain.

Regards,

Raggy

• Not Ranked
  • Try this....

Admin > Domains > [Click on your domain] > DNS Manager

On this page you should see the DNS entries required for mail, Lync, etc.  

Hope this helps,

Paul

• Not Ranked
  • Yea, it works to a point. However;

1) It will work for vanity.onmicrosoft.com, but it may not work for vanity.com.  MS does not publish the mail settings for P1 plan users unless you delegate the domain.

2) These settings may change dynamically, so you need to constantly check the DNS manager.

3) It does not allow more than 1 MX record. In the real world you will have a secondary (and beyond) mail server with approriate MX record. eg.

10 mailserver.vanity,com

20 server2.vanity.com

25 box99.mypartner.com

The more I use the P1 paln the more I find that MS either have no clue how small bussinesses work (or don't care) OR they want to push small businesses to the more expensive E? plans. £ 2.5 / $ 3.0 for the P1 -> E1 'upgrade' per month may not sound much, but muliply this by the # accounts the total $ profit is substantial.

Regards,

Raggy

• Not Ranked
  • Raggy,

Yes, it does work with your vanity domain. We do publish the mail settings for the P1 plan, however getting to it is a bit of a workaround at this point. The details are documented here community.office365.com/.../host-your-website-with-another-provider.aspx. In a nutshell, once your domains has been verified you can view the DNS records for each of the Office 365 hosted services (Exchange, Lync, etc.). Creating these records with your current DNS hosting provider will properly enable these services to work on your domain.

There is no need to specify multiple MX records for Exchange Online. Specifying the single MX is all you need. Exchange Online load balanced such that you do not need to specify the addresses of backup mail servers in case the primary goes down.

Lastly, you do not need to continually check the DNS manager page for updated MX record values. The address of the MX record will rarely, if ever, change. The IP address that it points to may very well change on a regular basis, but that's how Internet addressing works. The canonical name (what we show in the DNS manager) stays the same, but the IP address will change based on load balancing etc.

• Top 500 Contributor
  • knoxbury,

I'm trying to understand exactly the issue you're having. Allow me to walk through the scenario of how it should work and you can point me to where you're having issues.

Let's say the domain you are adding is contoso.com. You'll add and verify it in Office 365. Once this step is complete, DNS manager will be available for you to create custom DNS records for your domain. To maintain an existing website, I recommend create the custom A and/or CNAME records needed to route traffic to your website before you even update the name server addresses. You likely already have the info needed for these A/CNAME records but if not your webhosting provider can provide them for you. So, once your domain has been verified, launch DNS manager and click New >> A record. In the hostname field enter "@" and in the points to address field enter the IP address that your webhosting provider has given you. The hostname field is not where you would specify the IP address nor the full address of your website. The error you mention above seems to indicate that perhaps you have tried putting the IP address or the full address in to the hostname field.

Then click New >> CNAME and enter 'www' for the hostname. For the points to address enter the value your webhosting provider has given you.

Once this is done, you can then update  the nameserver records at your domain registrars site to  point to Office 365 hosted DNS servers.

This doc community.office365.com/.../host-your-website-with-another-provider.aspx has more detail. If you are still having trouble please let me know.

Thanks,

- Mike

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Mike,

Sorry to join this conversation late.  My Office 365 trial is about to expire, so I have been in the process of signing up for the Small Business Plan.  Based on what I can understand of the Microsoft MO for this, I have come to the conclusion that I will probably go to another exchange host instead.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I can tell you what my concern is with the current setup options.  I realize that Microsoft is willing to let me host my website elsewhere while keeping other services at MS.  The issue is the way this is handled.

As you certainly know, a few years ago there were web registrars and web hosts.  The MS plan makes sense in that world.  Today, like most people, my registrar is also my host.  What MS is asking me to do is set up a circular path so that web requests go from my registrar, to Microsoft, then back to my registrar.

This might not raise an eyebrow if it weren't the opposite of the way it is handled by every other exchange host I have found.  I keep asking myself, "Why does MS insist on controlling the DNS records?"  No one has yet offered a technical reason that I have seen, leaving me with only cynical assumptions.  I am not a Microsoft-hater, but I also see no reason to give Microsoft more control than technically necessary.

I realize I will be giving up other features if I go elsewhere for exchange hosting.  I will also pay a couple dollars more each month.  In spite of these factors, I will sleep better elsewhere unless someone can give me a convincing technical reason for this requirement.

Thanks,

Don

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Don,

Thanks for the post. I hear your concerns and appreciate your feedback. The decision to design our domain redelegation process they way we did was not purely for technical reasons. Managing domains and DNS is a complicated task. Many people, even technical folks, have a difficult time with it. Rather than having to create multiple DNS records to enable each of the Office 365 services, we wanted to make it easier for Small Business users by only having to update their name server records. Also, as new services are rolled out their associated DNS records would automatically be created... again making it easier for the SMB.

I still believe this satisfies the needs for the great majority of SMBs who will use Office 365, but I am also aware that there are several SMBs like yourself which have more complex DNS requirements. We are concidering changes in this area for a future release. In the meantime we have also documented a workaround which will get you what you are looking for (even though it only mentions .no and .dk domains).

Thanks again for the feedback. It's very much appreciated.

- Mike

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Mike,

Thanks for your response.  I probably should have added a response of my own later yesterday, as I ultimately decided to stay with Office 365 and go through with the DNS changes as prescribed.  After digging through more of the forum I found a couple more posts (of yours) that referred to some of the other DNS issues included with the full Office 365 suite.  This one, in particular, made sense to me:

Post replied on 2011-Apr-26 11:14 AM

It's not a matter of simply changing the MX record. There are three DNS records associated with Exchange Online... one is the MX for mail routing. Another is an SPF for safe sender. And the third is a CNAME for autoconfigure. Add to that the two SRV records for Lync Online and it becomes more difficult to setup your domain than simply updating your NS records. This solution will work for a large number of our customers.

Anyway, thanks for your time in the support forum.  I feel much better about this change knowing it is so easy to get reasoned answers!

Thanks,

Don

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1|2|