No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Unable to log out

• 4 Followers
  • 31 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

I have read of this issue several times in the forums and have yet to see a resolution.  

I am unable to log out of my site and log into another. None of the following worked:

• 1. Clear the web browser cache and cookies, and then restart the web browser to see if it works.
    2. Use the InPrivate Browsing feature in Internet Explorer to login with another Office 365 account.
    3. Remove microsoftonline.com entries from the Trusted sites zone and from the Local Intranet zone in Internet Explorer.

For more detailed information about signing out of Office 365 web services:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2507767

So I have no choice but to abandon IE and use Chrome as it does not have these issues.  If anyone has another suggestion to make IE work properly, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks.

Rob

Rob Moses

Caladan Consulting, Inc.

• Post Points: 20
All Replies
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for posting here.
    I understand that you have tried the three methods provided in the official article, and the issue persists.
    To troubleshoot this issue, would you please perform the following steps to reset Internet Explorer settings?
    1. Open Internet Explorer, click the gear icon.
    2. Click Internet Options to open the Internet Options dialog box.
    3. Click the Advanced tab, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings section, click Reset.
    4. Restart IE and check the issue again.

Besides, what’s the version of Internet Explorer you are using? Is it a supported web browser in Office 365?
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/ff652564.aspx (Supported browsers)

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • Hi Rob,

How are things going? We appreciate an update on the status of the issue.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi Rob,

Try this

benefitsofcloud.blogspot.com/.../unable-to-sign-out-from-office-365.html

This helped all of us at my company to overcome the problem.

Regards,

Pe-gah

• Not Ranked
  • I will try this.  Thank you!

Rob Moses

Caladan Consulting, Inc.

• Top 500 Contributor
  • No luck so far.  It still happens sporadically and only closing IE and restarting it seems to restore the login. .  I intend to try the following suggestion.  Meanwhile I am using Chrome for all my O365 work until this is resolved permanently.

Rob Moses

Caladan Consulting, Inc.

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for your update.
    To narrow down this issue, would you please take the following steps?
    1. Test it in Clean Boot Mode. To enter Clean Boot Mode, you can refer to the article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    2. Test in Internet Explorer’s (No Add-Ons) Mode.
    Click the Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

If this does not help, would you please provide more information here? What’s the version of Internet Explorer you are using?

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • I did the clean boot and am waiting for it to recur.  Given how sporadic this issue is, I CANNOT remain in clean boot mode for long.  It works now like it did earlier yesterday and as it did last Monday before the error reasserted itself on Tuesday and Thursday.   I will now return to normal boot mode to do my work and let you know when it recurs.  I am running IE 9.0.8112.16421  with update ver  9.0.5  (KB 2647516).   See the attached screenshot for add ons.  I've tried disabling them TEN TIMES when the error condition asserts itself!  No change!

Rob Moses

Caladan Consulting, Inc.

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Now the issue is spreading among all browsers!!   I am unable to log into ANY O365 site!   This is maddening!  I have tried your suggestions.  I got into my site, but not the two partner companies I am doing temporary business with.  Even though both the partner sites show me as logged in with the proper credentials (and Access Denied), perhaps some kind of cache needs to be cleared.  I did clear the cache, history, temp files and more, but to no avail.  Here is a screen shot showing the proper credentials but access denied.  The partner firm is baffled as is the other firm, HaloTec.

Rob Moses

Caladan Consulting, Inc.

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Both issues on the partner sites cleared up after several hours.  The issue of unable to login to my own site has not recurred today.  I will note here if/when it occurs again.

Rob Moses

Caladan Consulting, Inc.

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for your update and let us know the current situation on your side. From your description, it seems that the original unable to log out issue is not a continuing issue, and it is sporadic. Besides, the issue of not able to login is not recurred today. Is it right?

If there is any update on the status of the issue, please feel free to post back. In addition, the attached screenshots could not be shown well, would you please insert it again if the issue persists? To insert and post a screenshot in the forum, please refer to the following steps:
    1.Click Use rich formatting when posting a reply.
    2.Click the button to insert a picture.
    3.Click Post.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi Rob,
    How are things going? Is there any update on the status of the issue?

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Top 50 Contributor
  • The issue has not recurred this week, but I have not used it much as I was out of town for a day.  I will test it several times today, especially as I have to bounce between 4 O365 accounts with my partner firms and my own site.  I will let you know if there are any more issues.

Rob Moses

Caladan Consulting, Inc.

• Top 500 Contributor
  • The issue has just recurred!  I got into my O365 site, did some changes, then logged out. I got into a partner firm's O365 site, did some work and tried to log out.  It just keeps going back to the home screen.  How do I log out???  I know I can close the damn browser but what a hassle!!!  Very counter-productive.  Is there a fix for this error-prone O365 issue?

Thanks.

Rob Moses

Caladan Consulting, Inc.

• Top 500 Contributor
  • It just occurred to me that all my issues could be related to the fact that I am using IE9.  Is this possible?  I note Lync often lacks audio options when I use the link  the appt.  I always launch the default 32 bit version, so that should not be an issue.  Should I remove IE9 and all it to automatically restore IE8?

Rob Moses

Caladan Consulting, Inc.

• Top 500 Contributor
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1|2|3|