No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Email encryption

• 2 Followers
  • 2 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

I have purchased licenses for the E1 plan. How do I purchase email encryption for these licenses. Do I do that before or after I migrate.

Kind regards,

Courtney

• Post Points: 20
All Replies
  • Hello Courtney H,

I would be more than happy to address your question with regards to your encryption needs.

Encryption is inherent with our Office 365 Exchange plans. Therefore, there is no need to purchase a separate encryption add-on, encryption is already included.

Our encryption provides the following:

Secure access: Each offering from Microsoft Office 365 is accessed through 128-bit Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) or Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption. Anyone who intercepts a communication sees only encrypted text.

Encryption between Clients and Exchange Online:

Client connections to Exchange Online use the following encryption methods to enhance security:

•SSL is used for securing Outlook, Outlook Web App, Exchange ActiveSync, and Exchange Web Services traffic, using TCP port 443.

•SSL is also used for POP3 and IMAP, using TCP port 995.

For further information please visit the web link below:

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

I hope this addressed your question.

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • Sorry if I'm intruding.  When I read Courtney's post, I thought more about encryption certificates and S/MIME support...in other words, the components/items needed to send and receive encrypted mail from the PKI (signing or signing and encrypting email).  I think it would be assumed that all connections whether between the desktop client and the Exchange Servers or the communication within the entire MSO365 Portal (Outlook Web App, SharePoint, Lync, etc.) would be encrypted and that would have to be done by the service provider: Microsoft.  Perhaps I'm completely wrong as she hasn't posted anything more, but I am wondering about S/MIME support, what is required to implement using PKI certificates in the Outlook Web App, if it's possible (I am aware of how to use them in the desktop edition of Outlook).  For example, as a start: where is the location to download the latest S/MIME control?

-Jonathan

Mr. Jonathan C. Smith, M.Chem., M.Pharm.

Radiochemist & Toxicologist

ACS, APS, IUPAC

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)