No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

moving domain from Office Live Small Business to 365

• 5 Followers
  • 26 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

I have a custom domain through Office Live (from *years* ago when Office Live was in its beta form) and use hotmail for email services (I don't have Outlook). I was recently notified about the discontinuation of Small Business and the required shift to 365, and am looking into moving all my Small Business stuff to 365.

My question is this: if I move my domain from Small Business to 365, will my custom domain hotmail account be affected? Do I need to connect it to the desktop Windows Live Mail first? Or something?

TIA

• Post Points: 20
All Replies
  • Hi Tabwriter,

If you are using this domain in Windows Live Hotmail for email service in Office Live Small Business(OLSB), the domain would not be added in Microsoft Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE). Therefore, to move this domain from OLSB to Office 365, you just need to remove the domain from domains.live.com and then add and verify this domain in Office 365. You custom domain hotmail account would not be affected and you do not need to connect it to the desktop Windows Live Mail.

For how to add and verify your domain in Office 365, please refer to the links below:

Verify a domain at any domain name registrar

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg584174.aspx

Change name server records at a domain registrar

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg549203.aspx

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Tabwriter,

Just checking in to see if you have any other questions.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Nope. I know how to move my domain, I just wasn't sure whether I needed to do anything with my custom domain hotmail account first. As long as it won't be affected, I'm good. Thanks.

• Not Ranked
  • URGENT ANSWER NEEDED

I just removed my domain from Windows Live Hotmail for email service in Office Live Small Business(OLSB) and attempted to add it to 365. I followed the instructions, and was on the final step of changing the name server (thru Melbourne IT). One of the steps required me to select the "Cancel Domain" option, and then enter the designated nameserver (per the step by step instructions given by 365).

I did this, but now my domain is no longer under my control and I cannot add the appropriate nameservers. I cannot cancel anything and reclaim control of my domain. My hotmail account, which was nicely set up with my custom domain, is now bouncing.

Will someone PLEASE tell me what's going on? And if I lose my domain to someone else over this, I'm going to be very VERY angry.

• Not Ranked
  • Well, you are mis-guided by MS moderator, unfortunately.

OLSB use hotmail based e-mail system, Office 365 use Exchange system. They are completey different.

Once you remove Domain from OLSB, you will not receive any e-mail to OLSB hotmail system.

You have removed Domain anyway, you need to set up Office 365 to receive your e-mail again.

Watch this video, and follow exactly what video says.

http://ask.officelive.com/smallbusiness/blogs/team/archive/2012/02/14/video-moving-your-office-live-domain-to-office-365.aspx

By the way, you can still access to your OLSB from hotmail.com, but you can see them but no e-mail is coming in. You may be able to send e-mail out. but this account may be closed 270 days after May 1st 2012.

So, if you need to backup OLSB e-mail, use Windows Live Mail or Outlook to download your e-mail to your PC.

• Top 150 Contributor
  • Thanks for replying so quickly. I watched the video you included, and those are exactly the steps I used to transfer my domain to 365. Except there is a MAJOR detail not included in the instructions, and that is the fact that there are TWO options titled Cancel DNS. One is to cancel DNS management, and the other cancels the entire domain. It appears I selected the wrong one which cancels the whole domain because no one told me where to look for the correct option.

The video, btw, is extremely helpful. Why the hell isn't there a link to it in the step-by-step instructions? It would have saved me all of this pain.

I have tried backing up my email in WLM, but that program isn't smart enough to recognize it and asks for server information. Which, of course, I don't have. I've asked for help on this matter, too, but no one has any answers. And yes, I can send email but not receive--and I suspect you're correct that this will disappear after April 30.

As of now, I have NOTHING. No domain, no email, no website, and no way of salvaging anything. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me, at the ver least, figure out how to back up my OLSB email into WLM, or perhaps into a regular hotmail account. Something. ANYTHING. It would be better than what I currently have.

• Not Ranked
  • For setting up WLM, Go to "Account", "E-mail"

Type in your "E-mail address" & "Password" then Next

Select "Windows Live Mail" At server type, then next.

That's it.

You should be able to download all your e-mail stored at hotmail.com.

Again, you can see them. But you can't receive any e-mail.

• Top 150 Contributor
  • THANK YOU!!

Seriously, I appreciate it.

• Not Ranked
  • If you wan to transfer Domain to Office 365, you should remove your Domain name from Office 365 Domain manager, once.

At MIT side, Change back name server to "ns1. secure.net" & "ns2.secure.net".

If you change to "ns1. secure.net", you can re-input "TXT value" again.

After then, you can start follow video.

Add Domain name at Office 365, get new TXT value such as "MS=msxxxxxx" without "." (Dot). Got back up MIT to re-input TXT value, set up name server as suggested.

BTW!!! VERY IMPORTANT!!!  use Firefox with MIT. no IE for MIT.

Good Luck!

• Top 150 Contributor
  • Hi Masakik,

Thanks for your reply on the forum.

Hi Tabwriter,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Seriously?? I need an urgent answer, and no one in any official capacity gets around to responding until three days later? Anna, I am not mad at you, but I am furious with how MS has changed the way it helps its customers. This whole 'community' thing is a joke; a thinly veiled excuse to let others (like Masakik) do the work for them, so they can toddle on over several days later and ask how things are going. Again, Anna, this isn't directed at you, but at the entire ridiculous system.

I can't remove my domain from 365, even though there are no email addresses or lync licenses assiciated with it. And MIT won't give me back my domain. So, no, things are not hunky dory over here.

If there was any *personal* customer service, like there used to be, like any decent customer service SHOULD be, then I imagine someone could look up my personal information and tell me what's going. But since that doesn't exist anymore, I guess I'm stuck out here in no man's land.

Masakik, thank you very much for all your help. You've kept me on the saner side these past couple of days. Notice I said 'saner,' not sane. :)

• Not Ranked
  • Hi. Tabwriter. It is not easy to assist you by only words. That's the limitation of this forum. However, you can attach some photo on it. If you can capture some screen shot, then they might help us understand what is going on.

At Office 365 site, can you re-start Add Domain wizard? It should show 1,2,3,4 steps you to follow. Can you continue it?

At MIT site, can you see your domain name at "Manage Domain Name" section? If you can see, click on your Domain name, what do you see? If you can paste your screen shot, it might help us.

• Top 150 Contributor
  • Yeah, I know. Which is why these forums alone aren't sufficient for customer service. I'm not okay posting personal info from my account to a public forum, hence the need for real customer service. But it's sweet of you to 'stick up' for them. :)

My domain is in a weird state of limbo. It's not active on my MIT account page, and MIT won't let me reclaim it. I can't remove it from 365 either. I get an empty error message box when I try. There is something wrong behind the scenes, something I can't fix without assistance. I need a real customer service person, someone with access, who can take a look at my account and tell me what's going on. I cannot fathom why MS took this kind of customer service away. If they still have it, then it's hidden extremely well.

I suppose I get to sit here for another three days before an MS moderator asks how things are going.

p.s. I realize that I sound unreasonable, irate, and unfair. But I have no where to go for actual, real help from someone with backend access to my account. VERY frustrating.

• Not Ranked
  • Tabwriter.

Then you might want to try those company.

http://ask.officelive.com/smallbusiness/blogs/team/archive/2012/03/16/need-help-with-the-transition.aspx

I know it is not free. cost you some. But at least they might help you.

or try Ken Symicek.

http://www.builditon365.com/Pages/default.aspx

His handle name at this forum is "WebBuilder", you can easily find his post across the Office 365 forum. He may be better choice for you.

That's all I have to offer you at this moment. Sorry about that...

• Top 150 Contributor
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1|2|