Migrate MX records only to Office 365

• 15 Followers
  • 57 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered
Hi,

I manage my DNS records through a third party.  When I was setting up the new O365 domain there was the requirement to move the entire DNS NS records for my domain to O365.  For the moment I do not wish to do this and only want to move the MX records.  Using the O365 MX record information under the admin domain details I have directed only email to Exchange Online, however email routing is failing with the error below.  I suspect that this error may be being generated because of the Microsoft email DNS SPF records.  What I want to achieve is directing email to O365 only and leaving my other DNS records where they are.  This worked in BPOS!  Any assistance appreciated.  Thanks.

Terry

SPF;
<>
Type TXT Name TXT Value TTL
TXT @ v=spf1 include:outlook.com ~all 1 Hour
<>

Error;

Your message wasn't delivered because of security policies. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

The following organization rejected your message: smtp94.gate.iad1a.rsapps.net.

_____  

Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 

• Post Points: 35
Verified Answer
  • Hi All,

Terry is correct. With Office 365 Professional you are required to switch your NS records to point to Office 365 hosted name servers when adding your domain (note that the Office 365 Enterprise does not require this). Once you add your domain we automaticaly create all of the DNS records needed to run Exchange Online and Lync Online on your domain (including the SPF record you mention above). Once you've verified your domain in Office 365 do this you will be able to create custom A and CNAME records using our DNS Management features. So if you want to host mail and IM with Office 365, but host your website with a 3rd party hosting provider you can acomplish this with the features available.

Please note however that we currently support creating custom A and CNAME records... you cannot create SRV, TXT, etc. records with our DNS management tools at this time.

Hope this helps,

- Mike

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi Terry,

We may need to get this one to support.  It does look like an issue with the DNS records settings.  Once we get the details in a Service Request, we can help you get them straightened out.

Cheers,
    David  

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Male
  • Different username here - sorry community portal wouldn't let me log in as the same user again!

When you run through the domain set up there is no option to only change MX records.  In the wizard there is only the option to move the Name Server (NS) records - see below.  This would be fine if I was ready to use SharePoint Online as my primary website but I do not wish to do this yet.
    For the moment I've had to fail back to my original mail servers until this is resolved....I was getting bounced email to my domain because the MicrosoftOnline email servers did not appreciate the relay!

BTW - how do I log a support request outside of this forum?  Is there nothing official available during the beta.

Any help appreciated.

Terry

<>

<>
    The name
    server records for your account are not configured properly.
    <>
    <>
    <>
    Changes to
    DNS can take time to complete. If you have correctly set your name server
    records to the values shown below you may need to wait for the changes to take
    effect. If you haven't set them yet, or if the change was incorrect, see the
    section below for more information.
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>

<>
    <>
    <>

<>

<>

<>
    <>
    Currently points to
    <>
    Should point to
    <>
    <>
    Name server 1
    <>
    ns157.hostgator.com
    <>
    ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com
    <>
    <>
    Name server 2
    <>
    ns158.hostgator.com
    <>
    ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com
    <>

• Not Ranked
  • Any ideas?

• Not Ranked
  • Hostgator should have the ability to modify/create individual DNS records. I haven't used their interface, but other providerrs I've used personally and for clients allow this. If you can't set this up with hostgator, I've had great success with zoneedit hosting just DNS for customers. Then you can create whatever records you want and aren't reliant on your hosting provider if you decide to change.

• Not Ranked
  • Thanks but that is not the problem.  I am able to change the DNS records at Hostgator.  What I want to be able to do is change the MX record only.  When I did this the Microsoft email servers denied the relay.

• Not Ranked
  • Terry,

Please use the link below to contact support.  Normally, you would go to the admin view in MOP (aka Portal) and click the support link to see the available methods of contact.  The access choices are different for the various plans, regions, and languages.

[removed by moderator]

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Male
  • Same problem here,  only the other way around-cannot redirect domain to 365 site with email hosted elsewhere. Changed nameservers and all was working fine but when I change the mx record, it breaks the redirect to the site and I get a blank screen. More flexibility is needed.  

http://webbrewers.com/   |     |  Get more out of Office 365

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi All,

Terry is correct. With Office 365 Professional you are required to switch your NS records to point to Office 365 hosted name servers when adding your domain (note that the Office 365 Enterprise does not require this). Once you add your domain we automaticaly create all of the DNS records needed to run Exchange Online and Lync Online on your domain (including the SPF record you mention above). Once you've verified your domain in Office 365 do this you will be able to create custom A and CNAME records using our DNS Management features. So if you want to host mail and IM with Office 365, but host your website with a 3rd party hosting provider you can acomplish this with the features available.

Please note however that we currently support creating custom A and CNAME records... you cannot create SRV, TXT, etc. records with our DNS management tools at this time.

Hope this helps,

- Mike

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Roger that - that was the answer I was looking for.  I will try this with a test domain and post back success.

For feedback for the beta, this approach is not a preferred method of migration for me (and probably others).  I could achieve a relatively seamless migration by moving just the mx record and creating any other service records for Office 365 manually.  Having to transfer NS records guarantees that all elements of my migration will incur outages for mail, websites, multiple DNS aliases, etc.... :-(  Not cool.  Really not cool.  My suggestion is that Microsoft gives customers the choice of either the 'wizard approach' of transferring the NS records OR the ability to manually create the required Office 365 DNS records outside of the Microsoft name servers.  At a minimum customers need an ability to pre-populate the relevant DNS zone on the Microsoft NS servers prior to the migration to ensure service continuity.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Terry,

I appreciate the feedback and will keep it close at hand when designing domains features for upcoming releases. In the meantime, here's how I recommend setting up your domain with Office 365 if you'll be migrating mail from another provider.

1. Add and verify your domain in Office 365 (but don't switch your NS records yet).
    2. Create users/mailboxes on that domain. Make sure to use the same email alias that you have in place for these users in your exiting mail service.
    3. Switch your nameserver records to Office 365

Mail will continue to route to your existing provider up to and including step 2 above. Once the NS records are changed mail will start routing to Exchange Online. Note that because your previous MX record may be cached in various non-authoritative DNS servers or other mail servers on the web, there may be a period of time where  you are receiving mail at your previous mail provider AND Exchange Online. However as DNS caches expire and those systems make a new request for the MX record for your domain, they'll get the O365 addresses.

With the above approach you shouldn't lose any email when migrating to O365.

- Mike

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Just to be clear by "With Office 365 Professional " -do you mean 365 Small Business?

And I'm assuming a separate MX record can't be created after verification. If it can, please tell me how.  

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Yes, I meant Office 365 Small Business. Sorry about that. I focus on the features... not the branding :-)

• Top 500 Contributor
  • I thought perhaps you were focusing on the customers!

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Absolutely! It's all about the customers.

• Top 500 Contributor
Page 1 of 4 (58 items) 1|2|3|4|