No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Mailalias and dirsync?

• 4 Followers
  • 8 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hi,

Just finished installing dirsync en now able to sync my on premisses AD to Office365. I am not able to add any mail aliases via the AD on premisses. I have added with adsiedit some aliases in the ProxyAdresses en sync again. But no luck so far. We are not using federation services.

Anybody an idea, what i am missing?

Maurice

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hello Maurice,

The problem that "Dirsync user has not received his @domain.onmicrosoft.com address in Office 365" might be caused by inconsistency attributes for that user.

By default, the domain.onmicrosoft.com domain will become an alias for that account automatically when an account is synchronized to Office 365. However, we should make sure that user's UPN, mail attribute (e-mail address), and proxyAddresses attribute all match prior to the DirSync. If an account that synced over to Office 365 and these three attributes do not match, then the @domain.onmicrosoft.com alias will not be created.

For users that already exist in Office 365 and has no @domain.onmicrosoft.com alias created. You may try the following steps to add the @domain.onmicrosoft.com alias for these users.

1. Install Microsoft Online Services Module and connect to Office 365 referring the article below.

Install and configure the Microsoft Online Services Module for Windows PowerShell for single sign-on

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff652560.aspx

2. Run the following command in Microsoft Online Services Module to rename user’s Office 365 UPN to the stand domain (yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com).

set-msoluserprincipalname -UserPrincipalName Username@yourdomain.com -NewUserPrincipalName username@yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com

3. Change user's UPN, mail attribute (e-mail address), and proxyAddresses in your on-premise domain and make sure they are match.

4. Re-run the Directory Sync Configuration wizard to force DirSync to propagate the change to Office 365. DirSync will update the value into the cloud and successfully move user’s account back to federated account.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hello Maurice,

The following articles may be helpful for you.

Changing Primary SMTP address without changing the Microsoft Online Services ID
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/w/administration/changing-primary-smtp-address-without-changing-the-microsoft-online-services-id.aspx

Office 365 – Assign an alias to a user
    http://blog.hametbenoit.info/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=241#.TnJ-m9fgzfI

Sky

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Hello Sky,

Tose things are not working for me. I have solved my problem by setting the primary SMTP address on 3 places, the user FQDN, the e-mail address of the user in the AD and with adsiedit in the parameter proxyaddresses.

In the parameter proxyaddresses I can also add a mail alias for a user (or multiple). After the dirsync the user has the right primairy address and also his or her alias. One thing not working in the proxyaddresses parameter is adding the original domain.onmicrosoft.com alias. It is not a problem for me but I cannot explaine this.

Maurice

• Not Ranked
  • I have solved it myself only thing cannot add domain.onmicrosoft.com as a mailalias.

• Not Ranked
    Suggested by
  • Hello Maurice,

The problem that "Dirsync user has not received his @domain.onmicrosoft.com address in Office 365" might be caused by inconsistency attributes for that user.

By default, the domain.onmicrosoft.com domain will become an alias for that account automatically when an account is synchronized to Office 365. However, we should make sure that user's UPN, mail attribute (e-mail address), and proxyAddresses attribute all match prior to the DirSync. If an account that synced over to Office 365 and these three attributes do not match, then the @domain.onmicrosoft.com alias will not be created.

For users that already exist in Office 365 and has no @domain.onmicrosoft.com alias created. You may try the following steps to add the @domain.onmicrosoft.com alias for these users.

1. Install Microsoft Online Services Module and connect to Office 365 referring the article below.

Install and configure the Microsoft Online Services Module for Windows PowerShell for single sign-on

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff652560.aspx

2. Run the following command in Microsoft Online Services Module to rename user’s Office 365 UPN to the stand domain (yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com).

set-msoluserprincipalname -UserPrincipalName Username@yourdomain.com -NewUserPrincipalName username@yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com

3. Change user's UPN, mail attribute (e-mail address), and proxyAddresses in your on-premise domain and make sure they are match.

4. Re-run the Directory Sync Configuration wizard to force DirSync to propagate the change to Office 365. DirSync will update the value into the cloud and successfully move user’s account back to federated account.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hello Maurice,

Did the above reply answer your questions? If the information is helpful, please show this thread as answered so others may benefit from the information. Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • It works, after setting the principal name the domain.onmicrsoft.com mailalias is set. After that I had to set the principal name back.

• Not Ranked
    Suggested by
  • Guys, I am having an issue where the alias has not updated to the changes made in AD, it only updateds the primary email to the changes I made in Active Directory, why is it ignoring the alias value?

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Andy,

Is there any errors when syncing user account to Office 365? To help you resolve this problem more effectively, please post a new thread for your problem and include the synchronization errors. 
    Note: Dirsync will notify your company’s initial administrator of these dirsync errors in an e-mail message. You can see detailed information about the Directory Synchronization errors in the notification email messages. 

Thank you.
    Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)