No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

create a TXT record problems

This question is answered This question is answered
I have created a new TXT record in my hosting control panel, and waited over 72 hours, but it still won't verify.  I am using 123 reg control panel and this won't allow you to use a TTL.

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

Verified Answer
  • Hi,

To verify your domain, you would need to add DNS records to it, which lets us verify your ownership of the domain.

If you go into the Admin Portal and enter the Domains page, you'll be able to open the 'pending verification' page to see what settings you need to set up. You'll need to add either a TXT record or an MX record to your DNS records. Make sure that when you add them, you're formatting them correctly.

The TXT record needs to be all in one line like: "v=verifydomain MS=ms#########".  In some cases when you add a TXT record you may accidentally create it as two separate lines, and that won't work.

Alternatively, you can add an MX record, which will look like this: ms########.void.mail.eo.outlook.com.  The important thing is to make sure you're entering just MX record and nothing else.  Sometimes (depending on your registrar) it will add extra text to the end of a record so when you type in ms########.void.mail.eo.outlook.com it will actually come out as ms########.void.mail.eo.outlook.com.mydomain.com, and that won't work.

Here's the page you may refer to from 123reg on how to setup a TXT record:

www.123-support.co.uk/.../how-do-i-set-up-a-txt-record-on-my-domain-name-1199

Thanks,

Anna Guo

All Replies
  • I am having the same issue with TXT Record and Network Solutions.  I also tried to do the MX record using ms72653557.msv1.invalid. however Network solutions errors: "The domain extension you entered is not supported."

• Hi,

To verify your domain, you would need to add DNS records to it, which lets us verify your ownership of the domain.

If you go into the Admin Portal and enter the Domains page, you'll be able to open the 'pending verification' page to see what settings you need to set up. You'll need to add either a TXT record or an MX record to your DNS records. Make sure that when you add them, you're formatting them correctly.

The TXT record needs to be all in one line like: "v=verifydomain MS=ms#########".  In some cases when you add a TXT record you may accidentally create it as two separate lines, and that won't work.

Alternatively, you can add an MX record, which will look like this: ms########.void.mail.eo.outlook.com.  The important thing is to make sure you're entering just MX record and nothing else.  Sometimes (depending on your registrar) it will add extra text to the end of a record so when you type in ms########.void.mail.eo.outlook.com it will actually come out as ms########.void.mail.eo.outlook.com.mydomain.com, and that won't work.

Here's the page you may refer to from 123reg on how to setup a TXT record:

www.123-support.co.uk/.../how-do-i-set-up-a-txt-record-on-my-domain-name-1199

Thanks,

Anna Guo

• I added a text record on discountasp.net for my domain following the instructions in the office 365 setup. I waited 5 days and no luck. I tried adding an mx record just now and got an invalid domain name warning. It turns out that when I copied the text provided in the Office 356 setup, I copied a space at the end of the string. When I deleted the space, the mx record was accepted as valid.

Now I'll wait to see if Office 365 successfully verifies the domain. Hopefully it won't take the full 72 hours.

I'm going to take this opportunity to complain about the documentation. It's horrible. It barely explains the process and doesn't take into account how different companies handle DNS modifications.

It tells me to enter an "@" in the TXT box for the domain. There is no box labeled TXT. I am unable to enter an "@" in any box on the new record row.

It tells me to enter a value in the FQDN or "points to" box. There is no such box available.

I already had an existing MX record on Discountasp.net. Am I supposed to replace it with the Office 356 one? Am I supposed to add the Office 356 one with a higher or lower priority than the existing one?

This is frustrating. It should be very easy.

• BTW, I found an article on ehow called "How to Check the DNS Settings for a Domain". I tried several of the tools listed, and my domain had errors caused by the MX record. I deleted it.

Is there a set of instructions specific to DiscountASP.net that I can follow?

• Hi JonC,

These articles about verifying a domain at any domain name registrar are for general situations. Since there are too many domain name registrars, it is not so possible to provide detailed information on verifying a domain at every domain name registrar.

You may refer to the links below about the general scenario to verify a domain at a domain registrar.

For Enterprise version: onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg584188.aspx

For Small Business version: onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg584174.aspx

You could choose to create a TXT record or an MX record. If the MX record looks like ms********.msv1.invalid., you may have to add a TXT record instead. Or if this domain has always been used for mails, you may need to create a TXT record in case that the added MX record would influence you sending or receiving messages.

To add a TXT record, please choose TXT as the Type, type @ in the Host box, set the TTL as 1 hour or 3600 sec, and add  Destination or Points to Address information in the Value box. After setting this, wait for at most 72 hours for the record that you created to propagate through the DNS system.

You could also post any screen shot of the page to add a TXT record or an MX record on Discountasp.net for us to provide more specific solutions for these steps.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi JonC,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo