No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

DNS and Name Server different provider.

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi Experts!,

i have a problem started with cannot receive emails, BUT .....in this case the issue i've got was slightly different.

in the domain setting of my office365 were perfectly set / match with my DNS provider (Godaddy),

and i was thinking about the reason that i unable to receive emails, correct me if i'm wrong,

was from the Name Server issue, 

Since we're an education provider, we're using domainname.edu.au, which is the place that i should provide the name server and pointed to Godaddy DNS.

is there any part that i missed?, 

should i provide another name server (from microsoft ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com), added to my existing name server? is it going to messed up?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Husni Kwok,

Thanks for getting back. I have read all the posts you mentioned, I'm thinking the problem is not related to the MX record. We need to start over for this case.

Before anything, I understand that you are using Office365 A2 Plan which the same function which Office365 Plan E, and also you have local Exchange environment . Anther point is you have verified the domain at Office365.

To ensure that both Exchange environment can work together (coexistence), we need to setup Office365 hybird deployment (as Agile IT - John mentioned). If you use this, you DO NOT change any MX records. All you need to do is correctly setup the hybrid deployment.

Detail about setup hybrid ,you can see technet.microsoft.com/.../default.aspx

After setting-up the hybrid, the service will create a tunnel between Office365 and your on-permise Exchange. The mail will deliver to your local first, then the hybird server checked the email items (if it send to cloud user), the hybrid server will send the mail to cloud based mailbox.

For this case, I'd like to know the detail information for your local environment and also need the the detail your requirement.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

All Replies
  • Hi All,

as i need to clarify in regards the FOPE, i was trying to contact the microsoft licensing team, and finally i have the reply,

they said "O365 provides it's own filtering service",  meaning i don't have to use FOPE??,

and the previous email with them, they also mentioned "We recently received your trial request for xxx seats of Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE) for your domain. However, we see that your organization has active Office 365 Ent. provisioned on 7/20/2012", 

what does that mean?.

now, i am a bit confused :|

Cheers!

• Hi Husni Kwok,
    I would like to explain that FOPE is serving for all the service plans in Office 365. Office 365 Plan A and Plan E can manually configure FOPE from Exchange Control Panel but P Plan cannot access to FOPE to manually setup. Because you are using Plan A2, so please see picture below to access it.

Thanks,
    Johnny

• Hi Johnny Zhang,

Thank you for your reply,

i saw that option before, and i was unable to use it, and it says i'm not authorize to use this application.

need a bit guidance here.

i just need to be able to use our edu.au domain for exchange online.

Cheers!

• Hi Husni Kwok,
    To troubleshoot this issue, we can refer to the following article
    First Time Log on to the FOPE Administration Center
    I attached useful article link of FOPE for your reference.
    FOPE User Guide

Thanks,
    Johnny

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Johnny Zhang,

yes, just now i tried, and successfully signed in into FOPE, i actually tried this before and didn't work.

anyway, time to move on....

i will post back again....

this is great!.

Thank you.

• Hi Johnny Zhang,

i was trying to read through the link given by you about FOPE User Guide, and i'm little bit lost here,

as suggested by the default setting and also another forum member, that i should use TXT instead of MX,

on this guide, in the setup checklist, it's mentioned that i have to set the MX records.

and i think this is not as easy as i thought, and it's going to be really long way to go.

if needed i will address more in details about my environment.

Thanks.

• TXT just for verify the domain owner, MX is required to update from domain registrar to configure your email routing.

• Hi all,

Thank you Mike12 for your reply,

can i provide another MX records in my DNS provider(godaddy) instead of existing one (on-premises)??, and set 1 for priority? so 0 for on-premises and 1 for cloud.

is that how this hybrid works?

Cheers!

• 0 Priority higher than 1, so if set 0 for on premise, when email succesfully send to on premise server, other MX records do not take effect.

Eg: A is on premise server, A.domain.com, B is on cloud,B.domain.com

currently MX points to cloud, if C.example.com send email to A, firstly will check MX, it points to cloud, but this user does not exist in cloud, so via FOPE connector create relationship route to on premise, and then A receive email from C

• Meaning i've done the right thing?, but this is still unresolved.

OK, the details as follow:

1. DNS (Godaddy)>> MX records=0 for on-premises domain (mail.abc,edu,au), and 1 for onmicrosoft (abc-edu-au.mail.eo.outlook.com)

2. Exchange online >> domain=verified, domain=shared

3. FOPE tried to fill in the inbound and outbound connector > (still confusing even try to follow the FOPE Guide)

4. Active Directory Synchronization successful (users imported in Exchange Online).

5. All user activated.

6. attempt to send some email to external contact, email sent, but cannot received, when external contact tried to reply.

Thank you.

• Hi Husni Kwok,

Thanks for getting back. I have read all the posts you mentioned, I'm thinking the problem is not related to the MX record. We need to start over for this case.

Before anything, I understand that you are using Office365 A2 Plan which the same function which Office365 Plan E, and also you have local Exchange environment . Anther point is you have verified the domain at Office365.

To ensure that both Exchange environment can work together (coexistence), we need to setup Office365 hybird deployment (as Agile IT - John mentioned). If you use this, you DO NOT change any MX records. All you need to do is correctly setup the hybrid deployment.

Detail about setup hybrid ,you can see technet.microsoft.com/.../default.aspx

After setting-up the hybrid, the service will create a tunnel between Office365 and your on-permise Exchange. The mail will deliver to your local first, then the hybird server checked the email items (if it send to cloud user), the hybrid server will send the mail to cloud based mailbox.

For this case, I'd like to know the detail information for your local environment and also need the the detail your requirement.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hi Neo Zhu,

Thank you for your reply...

actually i did tried to follow the deployment assistant which is then have lost somewhere.

more or less about my local environment, been explained above, and i moreover have using;

Server 2008 R2, Exchange 2010 SP1, and DNS from Godaddy, but domain name from Education registrar, in this case domainname.edu.au.

from Domainname.edu.au nameserver >>point>> to Godaddy, and i'm using Premium DNS from Godaddy, as they provided the anti-spam and antivirus too.

From there, it pointed to my IP address.

And i'm not really dare to change my MX records at Godaddy, as too many people using email currently. what i've done was put another MX records as mentioned previously.

Thank you.

• Hi Husni Kwok,

My suggestion for this case, you can setup a delicated server by using Exchange 2010 sp2 as a hybrid server. It will provide Hybrid deployment wizard.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hi Neo Zhu,

One of the reason i could not continue is because of this, Exchange 2010 SP2, currently our system only has last update SP1,

actually i have been through this, with the deployment assistant and it asked for setting up the new exchange forest, and at the end i could not continue once it asking to click on "Hybrid Configuration" tab, as SP1 doesn't have it.

OK, now i will apply the SP2 (hoping that is no issue while applying this patch),

i will post back again,

Thank you.

• Hi Husni Kwok,

Thanks for your update. I am looking forward to the result.

If you need any other assistance, please feel free to contact us. It is our pleasure to help you.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

1|2|3