No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

DNS and Name Server different provider.

• 8 Followers
  • 37 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hi Experts!,

i have a problem started with cannot receive emails, BUT .....in this case the issue i've got was slightly different.

in the domain setting of my office365 were perfectly set / match with my DNS provider (Godaddy),

and i was thinking about the reason that i unable to receive emails, correct me if i'm wrong,

was from the Name Server issue, 

Since we're an education provider, we're using domainname.edu.au, which is the place that i should provide the name server and pointed to Godaddy DNS.

is there any part that i missed?, 

should i provide another name server (from microsoft ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com), added to my existing name server? is it going to messed up?

Please advise.

Thank you.

• Post Points: 260
All Replies
  • If you’re not receiving emails either your domain is not verified or the DNS settings are not configured correctly.

You do NOT need to change your domain name servers to ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com unless you have a P (Small Business plan).

------+------
    John Gilham
    Agile IT

Your Agile Technology Partner
    For Your Agile Business

Connect with us:
    http://www.agileit.com/
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Thank you John for your quick reply,

the plan i have is  Microsoft Office 365 (Plan A2) for Faculty and student

my domain is verified and DNS successfully configured.

Cheers!

note: sorry, forgot to mention, current environment, we had exchange on-premises and we still want to keep it on-premises, and my intention was, that only for faculty and staff member, for students, i would like to use office365

• Not Ranked
  • You need to set up Hybrid Coexistence if you want to share the domain name for both on premise and the cloud (and a unified GAL).  This scenario would require you to follow the detailed documentation Microsoft provides.

If you want completely separate domains for students and faculty then having on-premise should not matter.  Have your MX records been setup in this scenario?

I’ve never seen a verified domain, verified in FOPE, with the DNS MX records set correctly that didn’t get email (yet).  I would focus on these areas without knowing your exact scenario.

Hope this helps move you in the right direction.

------+------
    John Gilham
    Agile IT

For Your Agile Business

Connect with us:
    • Top 500 Contributor
  • regarding MX records, yes it is been setup in my DNS provider.

well actually this is a separate question that i would like to ask later on, the question is:

in the tutorials, it was mentioned that we have to choose either to setup using TXT or MX records, not both, right?

but when i tried to using TXT, it was never been successful verified even for more than 72hours,

so then i tried to put MX into my DNS setting, and then it is successfully verified, but with TXT still in the DNS, and i have not remove it yet.

and yes, i read and follow the suggested best approach for certain environment, which is Hybrid Coexistence, and i am heading to that way.

• Not Ranked
  • You need to verify by TXT or MX, not both.

TXT best, MX instructions here: support.microsoft.com/.../2630435

Similar thread: community.office365.com/.../227247.aspx

------+------
    John Gilham
    Agile IT

For Your Agile Business

Connect with us:
    • Top 500 Contributor
  • I was tried to using TXT and does not went well, so i put another MX records,

This is what happened when i remove MX records with TXT still in the setting

• Not Ranked
  • as far as i know, Godaddy can verify o365 domain with txt record, if the verify fails, please ensure the txt value O365 provided you enter correct, and clear other txt record avoid conflict. since you said the domain verified with MX record, so you can remove this or change a number that is larger than the number you’ve specified for existing MX records.

obvious this is hybrid environment. , you should configue FOPE inbound and outboud connector, you can refer to these article

Simple Domain Sharing for SMTP Email Addresses

Hybrid Routing - Pointing your MX record to the Cloud

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Live,

Thank you, and i will try to go through Hybrid Routing, hope can do it.

I will post back after i have some result.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Live,

just another question,

after re-setup everything, such as remove and add the domain (fresh start),

the same issue is happen again as provided screenshot above.

anything missed again this time?.

• Not Ranked
  • Could you please provide your domain info for the troubleshoot. From the screenshot, it may be MX record conflict or wrong MX record at Godaddy.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Rogin,

basically we already have an MX Records at Godaddy for on-premises exchange, and i wondering that with my environment that i should using Hybrid routing, which involving FOPE.

if you still need domain info, i might send you through pm.

Btw, does anyone know that FOPE is free or not for education like exchange online P2?

• Not Ranked
  • Even if you keep all your mail On-Premise, with the "Hybrid" option, you could essentially get FOPE for free until you’re ready to move batches of users to the cloud.

Moving mailboxeds once in Hybrid mode is pretty seamless (and addicting when it's free)...your end users OST/Outlook cache doesn't even need to resync.

------+------
    John Gilham
    Agile IT

For Your Agile Business

Connect with us:
    • Top 500 Contributor
  • if you have not used Office 365 exchage online, please keep MX records point to the on-premise, the error screenshot will occur.it's normal thing.  if you use on-premise exchange and o365 exchange service on the same time, you should use hybrid

help.outlook.com/.../ff633682.aspx

let O365 exchange service on. as far as i know, FOPE for A2 &E plan are free

• Not Ranked
  • Thank you John and Joe11,

actually my plan is to keep on-premises exchange for staff only and O365 for students, less hassle and headache :)

i will look at this option...which Hybrid and i will post back again...for the complete result.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1|2|3|