No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Routing email to 365

This question is answered This question is answered
Hi I dont want to use the onmicrosoft domain for emails, preferring to use a .com registered domain that we have registered through 1-2-3 Reg. I also don't want to transfer my website to 365 . My understanding is I need to add a custom domain - verify it and then setup users. Seems straightforward, but I'm stuck with verification. Do I on my registrars records: A) have to setup a TXT record or B) setup a TXT and MX record or C) setup a TXT and MX and some other DNS record. When it comes to setting up DNS records on my registrars records that will point email to 365 how do I find out the specific point to 365 details? The resources available aren't that bad, but they seem lacking in detail sometimes and conflict a bit to those of us with a bit of knowledge, but not fully savvy. Thanks Richard
Verified Answer
  • Hi Richard,

Before moving on, I would like to confirm which subscription you are using for Office 365. Is it Office 365 Enterprise version or Office 365 Small Business version?

For Office 365 Enterprise version, if you do not want to transfer your website to Office 365, you could refer to the link below first to add a TXT or an MX record to verify your domain in Office 365:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg584188.aspx

In the step 1 in the link above, you could gather your domain information to create the DNS records.

Since you do not want to transfer your website to Office 365, if you use Office 365 E Plan, please also make sure you do not select SharePoint Online service under Domain intent.

Please refer to the following steps to check it:

1.Log in Office 365, click Admin

2.Click Domains->Domain properties

3.Make sure the SharePoint Online is not selected.

For Office 365 Small Business version, you could refer to the link below for how to add a TXT or an MX record to verify your domain in Office 365.

Verify a domain at a domain name registrar

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg584174.aspx

Change name server records at a domain registrar

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg549203.aspx

If you have changed the name server records to point to Office 365, please refer to the article below for how to update DNS records to keep your website with your current hosting provider:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../hh335298.aspx

If you do not plan to change the name server records to point to Office 365, please refer to the link below for how to add required DNS records to make your domain work with Office 365 correctly:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../hh416759.aspx

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

All Replies
  • Hi Richard,

Before moving on, I would like to confirm which subscription you are using for Office 365. Is it Office 365 Enterprise version or Office 365 Small Business version?

For Office 365 Enterprise version, if you do not want to transfer your website to Office 365, you could refer to the link below first to add a TXT or an MX record to verify your domain in Office 365:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg584188.aspx

In the step 1 in the link above, you could gather your domain information to create the DNS records.

Since you do not want to transfer your website to Office 365, if you use Office 365 E Plan, please also make sure you do not select SharePoint Online service under Domain intent.

Please refer to the following steps to check it:

1.Log in Office 365, click Admin

2.Click Domains->Domain properties

3.Make sure the SharePoint Online is not selected.

For Office 365 Small Business version, you could refer to the link below for how to add a TXT or an MX record to verify your domain in Office 365.

Verify a domain at a domain name registrar

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg584174.aspx

Change name server records at a domain registrar

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg549203.aspx

If you have changed the name server records to point to Office 365, please refer to the article below for how to update DNS records to keep your website with your current hosting provider:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../hh335298.aspx

If you do not plan to change the name server records to point to Office 365, please refer to the link below for how to add required DNS records to make your domain work with Office 365 correctly:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../hh416759.aspx

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi Anna - thanks for getting back.

The plan details are "Microsoft Office 365 Trial (Plan P1)".  I checked with my registrar (1-2-3 Reg who use Webfusion to register addresses) on how to add a TXT record yesterday.  The hostname @ was entered, as was TXT/SPF and v=verifydomain MS=ms74548365.  According to 1-2-3 this was all that was needed.

I've just checked i entered these correctly (which i did).  I'm not sure if it makes any difference - but the sharepoint address which was ...onmicrosoft.com has been changed to the domain name i wish to use.

If i need to change nameservers from:

ns.123-reg.co.uk

ns2.123-reg.co.uk

to ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com and ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com then i am no longer able to configure DNS changes for that domain within my 123-reg.co.uk control panel.  So if i decide 365 isn't for me then is it possible to restore the 123 nameservers?

Thanks

Richard

• Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your description, I understand that you are using Office 365 Small Business version.

If your domain has been verified successfully, you could choose to change the name server records to point to Office 365. Just as you mentioned, change them to be to ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com and ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com.

If you decide that Office 365 is not right for you, it is also possible to change the name server records back to your domain registrar.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi Anna

Thanks for the reassurance re: name server changes.  

I still cannot verify our domain, yet i've changed the dns records on our 1-2-3 control panel (i think) correctly.  Could you confirm the TXT/SPF entry details i should have entered on the 1-2-3- dns settings please?

Thanks

Richard

• Hi Richard,

Thanks for your update. I would like to confirm the current situation. What's the status of your custom domain. You can see this at admin page, click Domains. Weather the status is "verified" or not?
    If the status is verified. Congratulation, you have verified custom domain in Office 365. The next step is what Anne mentioned in pervious reply, please change name server records point to Office 365.

If the status in not "verified", that means you have not completed the process of verification. Please note don't change name server records before verified domain. If you have changed name server records point to Office 365. Please change it back to the pervious address. To be clarify, I list you the steps of verification:
    1.On the Admin page, in the left pane, under Management, click Domains, and then click Add a domain.
    2.On the Add a domain page, under Specify domain, type the domain name that you want to add, and then click Next.
    3.On the Verify domain page, in the See instructions for performing this step with: drop-down list, choose your DNS hosting provider. If your provider doesn’t appear in the list, choose General instructions.
    4.In the Select a verification method: drop-down list, choose Add a TXT record (preferred method) or Add an MX record (alternate method). Please note just need add either of one, not both.
    In addition, please note the DNS propagation doesn’t happen instantly. Sometimes takes close to 72 hours.
    5.click Verify.
    For your reference:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/hh397889.aspx
    After doing the above steps, the custom domain status should be "verified". Now you can change name server records point to Office 365.

Additional information:
    ===========================================================
    Update DNS records to keep your website with your current hosting provider:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/hh335298.aspx
    Add your domain to Office 365 without redirecting your name server records to Office 365:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/hh416759.aspx

If there are anything unclear, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu
  • Hi Richard,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi Anna

Well there's good and not so good news.  I managed to put the correct TXT details in my 1-2-3 domain.  Quite literally within 1 hour the 1-2-3 domain had been verified.  Whilst this is good and i now have verified the domain and have e-mails, the not so good news is my small 1-2-3 website has dissapeared from public view.

The support from 1-2-3 has been really good as it has been here.  So perhaps i need to be a bit more patient so i get what i really want.

So this weekend i will (try to) be patient and learn how to re-kindle the 1-2-3 website without causing any difficulties with the 365 area.  I'm sure it is possible but i dont want to mess things up here - any really basic step by step advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Richard

• Hi Richard,

When you change the Name Server to Microsoft this will redirect all services to 365, including your existing web hosting.  What you need to do next is find out from 1-2-3 what the IP address is of your hosted website is with them.  when you have this information you will need to do the following

Click on Domains

Place a dot in the radio circle next to your domain and select Manage DNS

Click New, then select A (Address), In the host name type @ and in the IP Address type the IP address of your 1-2-3 hosted site

Click save

Click New, then select cname, in the Host box type www and put your doamin (domain.com) and save this.  This will then populate, but will take same time.  when finished 365 will point the website back to 1-2-3

• Hi Richard,

There's step-by-step information about keeping your current website where it is (after you add your domain to Office 365) in this Help topic:

Update DNS records to keep your website with your current hosting provider

Hope this helps,

--Stacia

(Office 365 User Assistance)

• Hi Richard,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo