No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Delivery Delay Diagnostic-Code: smtp;400 4.4.7 Message delayed from low senderbase.org score

• 15 Followers
  • 124 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

Reporting-MTA: dns;bigfish.com Received-From-MTA: dns;mail37-tx2-R.bigfish.com Arrival-Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 18:28:09 +0000 Final-Recipient: rfc822;email@email.comAction: delayed Status: 4.4.7 Diagnostic-Code: smtp;400 4.4.7 Message delayed Will-Retry-Until: Mon, 14 May 2012 18:28:09 +0000 X-Display-Name: Name (CFM)

So anyone who finds this thread, the problem is with a low senderbase.org (by Cisco) reputation score.

Microsoft needs more motivation to get this going.  If you are having this problem please follow these steps:

1. Please open a ticket here: https://portal.microsoftonline.com/Support/NewSignupServiceRequest.aspx

2. Please post the service request ticket here and/or send it to me via private message.  I will add it to my master ticket

May 14@5:11pm EDT: I don't think we need anymore tickets to get Microsoft to pay attention to the issue.  They are fully aware of the seriousness of it and are addressing it at the highest levels.  See my newer posts for more updates.

Please read the thread before posting, most of your questions will probably be answered

• Post Points: 110
All Replies
  • A large government consulting firm that uses Microsoft Forefront sent out an email today that listed a variety of domains that it's aware of that have moved into a "Neutral" rating as of earlier this week and are now being blocked.  They include:

ita-intl.com

accenture.com

louisberger.com

fdic.gov

dhs.gov

usda.gov

IGIus.com

ias-ps.com

va.gov

teracore.com

quantum-intl.com

Salientfed.com

Just a few big names on that list.  Of course, the organization's response is that it will continue to block them until they achieve a "Good" rating.  

Something happened this week that's much bigger than us.

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
  • A new ticket # to add: XXXXXXXXXX (since my colleague opened the first one, I called and opened another)

I was told that their operations team is working the fix the issue.  I was also told about the IP whitelist option and informed him there was no way the recipient's would do that.

• Not Ranked
  • To those of you on the thread on twitter, please follow me @shr0p, and re-tweet my tweets about this.  Also, post your own, linking to this thread.  Maybe we can catch someone in PR at Cisco or MSFT.

• Not Ranked
  • MichaelVA,

you can put: cassidyturley.com on that list too

• Not Ranked
  • my contact in the Forefront support team just told me, "Yes it would be resolved by tomorrow EOD."

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Clibguy5,

Thanks for your update. we will keep monitoring the thread. Thanks.

Alex Du

• Top 75 Contributor
  • I think that the key thing right now is for Microsoft to recognize that there may be a significant single-point-of-failure problem in how the Forefront system is architected.  There seems to be a problem with how reputation scores are received and assessed.  I suspect that the scoring is susceptible to major traffic increases, something that cloud mail services will likely face any time a major customer comes on or folks transition to a new service.  If someone at a higher architecture level isn't made aware of the problem, I'm willing to bet that we'll continue to see it happen and small organizations such as ours will continue to suffer through multi-day denial of communications services situations.

• Not Ranked
  • Alex Du,

Would you please update us with any new information on this issue?

• Not Ranked
  • MichaelVA,

That is certainly a possibility, the other issue could be that an O365 customer was 'spaming' and the account got flagged, or very simply an account got compromised.

Hopefully, whomever at Microsoft is in contact with senderbase.org address the problem at its root cause to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Further more, as more and more organizations move into the cloud, the practice of blocking mail I suspect new forms of filtering will have to take place.  Blocking all O365 (or GoDaddy, RackSpace, Apptix, Google Apps, ect) users because the the actions of one doesn't seem logical.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi,

Apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue. I have checked some of the service requests posted in this thread, and I noticed the issue has been escalated to our high level support in some requests. Currently I sincerely recommend you to keep working with our support engineers to do more investigation about it. Meanwhile, we will help to monitor the service requests in our side. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • I'm sure that we all understand, but we still are without an ability to communicate with our customers.  This Denial of Service is now entering it its fifth day, a completely unacceptable service outage.  Our company is preparing to transfer email services to our former provider to ensure that we start the week with service.  I'm really tired of explaining to my customers that our move to Microsoft was intended to improve our services to them following several outages with another provider, only to suffer through the worst outage that I have ever seen.  Beyond that, our company consults to CIOs at other companies and we have transitioned some to Office 365 over the past year.  With this outage, we are now forced to explain how we would have chosen Microsoft over other options.  I'm sorry to say that, without any real explanation of what has happened, without any ETA on restoring our full service, without any consistent real customer support, and without any reparation, my company will have to seriously reconsider our partnership with Microsoft for communications services.

I suggest that escalating this issue to the high level support is insufficient.  I request that it be directly escalated to a director-level Microsoft representative who is in charge of small-to-medium sized business accounts and customer retention.  If that request isn't accepted, then I would like an explanation for how long companies should expect to be without service before it is escalated to that level.

• Not Ranked
  • I echo MichaelVA's comments, I personally need to hear from someone who can address this issue.  I have slowly been transferring my clients to O365 and will have to look for another solution moving forward.  I need a real answer, something beyond we are 'monitoring' the problem.

• Not Ranked
  • I am calling into Forefront support and have been on hold for an hour waiting to speak with someone

• Not Ranked
  • I emailed Kurt DelBene, President of the Office Division (www.microsoft.com/.../kurtd).  I got a reply back about 30 minutes later, that he would have someone contact me immediately.

I will update this thread when I get new information.

Also, I am still on hold with Forefront support my call timer just broke the 2h 30m mark

• Not Ranked
  • The Problem is not with Microsoft.  Been investigating, Cisco changed their senderbase scoring system, causing various folks to drop from Good to neutral.  Anyone who subscribes to the Senderbase.org scoring system to throttle or filter email is having this problem. Cisco need to fix their busted algorithm.  After contacting cisco, they said that subscribers should change their settings to allow free passage (whitelisting) of neutral mail.  Everyone needs to beat up senderbase to fix their false positive determination.  Remember that Microsoft and the end users did not change their email behavior pattern, cisco changed their algorithm in how the rate folks, if you don't send enough email then they changed their threshold for rating you to neutral; doesn't mean that they've confirmed that you're doing anything bad, they just don't have enough data to give you a Good rating.

• Not Ranked
Page 4 of 9 (125 items) «||2|3|4|5|6||»