No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Subdomains

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

I hope everyone is having a wonderful evening.

My question is regarding subdomains. I have an E3 Plan.

I would like to add a sub-domain and can't for the life of me figure out how to do it and what I need to have in order to do so. This will be for my forward facing website.

For the sake of this post I will call my domain as "mydomain.com" and the subdomain "christi".

What steps do I need to take on the backend admin portal? Do I need a license for christi.mydomain.com? How do I configure the subdomain in my godaddy DNS manager? (CNAME = Christi" and then in the points "to column" ????)

Any help would be appreciated, I am just a touched confused on this whole DNS administration, so baby steps would be even more appreciated.

Hope you have a great weekend

Christi

Verified Answer
  • Hi Christi,

Thank you for clarifying the issue.

My understanding of your question is that: you would like to use several different website addresses (including mydomain.com and christi.mydomain.com) for the public website. If so, this feature is not available in Office 365 at this point. I would like to explain that the public website address in Office 365 is unique. However, some DNS registrar provides the URL Forwarding feature. You may try to use this method to redirect the website. Please consult with your DNS registrar for more details.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Thank you Mindy,

I found the answer in this support page support.godaddy.com/.../4040 which deals with the sub-domain forwarding.

Christi

All Replies
  • Hi Christi,

I understand that you would like to use a subdomain such as christi.mydomain.com for the public website. You are using Office 365 E3 plan.

To achieve this goal, please perform the following steps:

1. Add and verify your root domain mydomain.com in Office 365. Refer to http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/gg584188.aspx.
    2. Add the subdomain christi.mydomain.com in Office 365. In the Add a domain wizard, on the Specify services page, select SharePoint Online.
    3. Create a public website with a custom domain name or change the domain name of an existing public website. For detailed steps, please refer to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-online-enterprise-help/set-up-a-public-website-HA102476205.aspx.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• HI Mindy,

Thank you for your response. I am still a bit confused and perhaps I wasn't quite clear in my initial question. I want to  have mydomain.com and also have christi.mydomain.com and others as well. Is there a way to do this? (for example I might want to have music.mydomain.com and reading.mydomain.com.

If this is possible, how would I go about that? (in both the microsoft admin portal AND with my registrar (goDaddy)

Thank you again for you help

Christi

• Hi Christi,

Thank you for clarifying the issue.

My understanding of your question is that: you would like to use several different website addresses (including mydomain.com and christi.mydomain.com) for the public website. If so, this feature is not available in Office 365 at this point. I would like to explain that the public website address in Office 365 is unique. However, some DNS registrar provides the URL Forwarding feature. You may try to use this method to redirect the website. Please consult with your DNS registrar for more details.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Thank you Mindy for you help. That was the answer I was looking for. Not the solution I wanted, but the answer nonetheless.  ;0-)

Have a great weekend Mindy

Christi

• Thank you Mindy,

Before I mark this as answered my Fiance and I just want more clarification(s).

Again I am going to use mydomain.com as my custom (vanity)domain name and my Sample.onmicrosoft.com as my default domain name.<--provided by microsoft.

We can have www.mydomain.com  as a forward facing website. We would not be able to create in conjunction with www.mydomain.com:

Christi.mydomain.com

AND

David.mydomain.com

in the forward facing website hosted on office 365.

If I am wrong in my understanding, would I go to my registrar and put in my DNS manager: (GoDaddy)

CNAME (Host)     Point to:

www                    Sample.sharepoint.com <--Already have.

Christi                 Sample.sharepoint.com

David                  Sample.sharepoint.com

In other words, we cannot have on our public facing website subdomains.(either single or multiple)? As reference in the following link. (We need more clarification and examples using our above example domains)

• Hi Christi,

I understand that you want to set your subdomains (Christi, David, www) as your public website address.
    As Mindy said, public website address on Office 365 is unique. You can change this address to www.yourdomain.com. If you want to set all of your 3 sub domains as your public website address, you should add redirect address at your domain register.
    Note: Please contact your domain register, and check whether they provide the function of redirect.

Thanks,
    Robert Li

• Hi Christi,

How are the things going? Do you need any further assistance on this issue?

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Thank you for you response Mindy.

I am confused, what is URL Forwarding?  Does that mean I can set up an IIS server and point the sub-domains to that server?

example:

www.mydomain.com = Microsoft 365 forward facing website

www.Christi.mydomain.com = IIS server in another datacenter unrelated to Microsoft?

Thanks

Christi

• Hi Christi

URL forwarding is a feature provided by domain registrar. I notice that your domain registrar is GoDaddy. For more information about URL forwarding in Godaddy, you can refer to the article: http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/422.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Thank you Mindy,

I found the answer in this support page support.godaddy.com/.../4040 which deals with the sub-domain forwarding.

Christi

• Hi Christi,

Thank you for sharing the information with us. I believe other people who encounter similar problems will benefit from this information. Your contribution is appreciated.

Best regards,
    Mindy Pan