No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Is it possible to disable IM functionality from OWA in Office 365?

This question is answered This question is answered

We are preparing for our migration to Office 365 (from BPOS).  Many of our accounts will be OWA-only users.  Managers at these locations wish to block IM functionality. 

Is it possible to disable IM functionality from OWA in Office 365?

Thank you.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Dan,

I understand that you would like to disable the IM functionality from Outlook Web App.  To achieve this goal, we need to create a new mailbox policy. I have provided the detailed steps as below:

1. Connect Windows PowerShell to Exchange Online: http://help.outlook.com/en-us/beta/cc952755.aspx?sl=1.
    2. Run Windows PowerShell to create a new mailbox policy. For example, to create a new mailbox policy which is named Policy1, run the following command:

New-OwaMailboxPolicy -Name Policy1
    Set-OwaMailboxPolicy -Identity Policy1 -InstantMessagingEnabled $false

3. Apply this policy to a user such as user@domain.com, run the following command:

Set-CASMailbox -Identity user@domain.com -OwaMailboxPolicy Policy1

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

All Replies
  • Hi Dan,

I understand that you would like to disable the IM functionality from Outlook Web App.  To achieve this goal, we need to create a new mailbox policy. I have provided the detailed steps as below:

1. Connect Windows PowerShell to Exchange Online: http://help.outlook.com/en-us/beta/cc952755.aspx?sl=1.
    2. Run Windows PowerShell to create a new mailbox policy. For example, to create a new mailbox policy which is named Policy1, run the following command:

New-OwaMailboxPolicy -Name Policy1
    Set-OwaMailboxPolicy -Identity Policy1 -InstantMessagingEnabled $false

3. Apply this policy to a user such as user@domain.com, run the following command:

Set-CASMailbox -Identity user@domain.com -OwaMailboxPolicy Policy1

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Thank you for your answer.  I really appreciate it.

However, it seems the need to block IM availability in OWA is now in question.  If I do happen to proceed with your suggested steps, I will let you know of my progress.

Thanks again.

• Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reply and updating the status of the issue.

If you need any further assistance on this issue in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan