No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Drag and Drop

This question is answered This question is answered
I cannot drag and drop attachments from one email into another email.  Anyone help?
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi Jdeem,

Do you mean drag and drop attachments from one email item to another in the Inbox folder in Outlook? As I understand, all the emails received in either Outlook or Outlook Web App are read only. We cannot move the attachment from one to another. However, if you reply to an old email or compose a new email in Outlook, the attachments should be able to be moved in to the composing window by drag and drop.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Thank you Reken.  But I sitll cannot drag and drop attachments.  When I reply or compose a new email, I cannot drag an attachment from another email.  The only thing I can do is save the attachment, then attach it.  I could always drag and drop prior to switching to Office 365.  Any other ideas?

• Hi Jdeem,

Can you find the "Copy" menu by right clicking on the attachment? If you find it, please click Copy, and try to paste it in the reply or composing window. I have both of the drag/drop and copy/paster for an attachment from one email to another in my Outlook 2010. I would like to know which Outlook version you are using? Please provide detailed information for troubleshooting. It would be better if you can provide some screenshots about this.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hello Reken.

I am using Microsoft Office 365.  I still cannot drag/drop or copy/paste attachments.  When I right click on the attachment, the copy function does not work.

Previously I was using Outlook 2003 and the drag and drop and copy/paste functions worked fine.

Thank you.

Jay

• Hi Jay,

Are you using the Outlook client included in Office Professional plus? If so, I suggest you just uninstall and re-install it on your computer to see if it works or not.

Besides, please provide the detailed information about your Outlook and OS version.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hi Jay,

How are things going? Is everything working properly now?

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• No, I still cannot drag and drop.  I have no idea.  I bought/downloaded another Microsoft 2010 Outlook, but that didn't help either.  

• Hi Jay,

Drag and drop attachments is a basic feature of Outlook. It is strange that it doesn't work in your side. Is your computer a domain-joined computer? If so, please switch to a none domain user to login your computer and try again. Maybe the feature has been blocked by some group policy.

If the issue persists, I suggest you perform a clean boot in your computer to eliminate other processes impact. You can refer to the following article to do the clean boot:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hi Jay,

How are things going? Has the issue been resolved now?

Thanks,
    Reken Liu