No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

NS record reset

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

good day,

i've recently started the office 365 trial and pointed both the dns as well as the ns records to the addrdesses provided.

there however seems to be a problem with the redirecting of mail.

uppon successfull verification the messages on currently left on the server migrated but new messages get bounced

i would like to acess the dns records but cant seem to change them in the DNS mannagement section when loged in as an administrator.

it simply shows a list of records but states they are for viewing purposes only.

i also would like to revert my NS back to it's orriginal address and only host my calender and email on exchange.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

regards,

Anton.

All Replies
  • Hi Anton,

Before moving on, I would like to collect the following information to troubleshoot the issue you encountered.

1. Are you using Office 365 small business trial version and if you have changed the name server records for your domain after your domain has been verified successfully in Office 365?

2. After your domain is "Verified" in Office 365, have you changed your email address from username@yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com to username@yourdomain.com by following the steps below?

1). Log in Office 365 Portal and go to the Admin page.

2). Click Users under Management from the left navigation.

3). Check your display name and click Edit.

4). Go to Details under their display name and check the dropdown list besides User name and select your own domain.

5). Click Save.

3. If you are using username@yourdomain.com to send and receive emails, could you send and receive emails from internal users in your organization successfully?

Could you send out messages to external users? Could you receive messages from external users?

4. Since you mentioned "new messages get bounced", would the sender get any non-delivery report(NDR) about this failure?

If so, could you please post the whole NDR here for us to troubleshoot it.

5. Is your requirement currently to only host your emails on Office 365 instead of SharePoint website?

If this is the case, you could try to change the name server records back to your domain host, after this, add corresponding DNS records at your domain registrar for Exchange Online.

Please refer to the picture below:

You need to add the MX record, CNAME record and TXT/SPF record manually for your domain to work with Exchange Online.

You could also refer to the link below for detailed information about it:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../hh416759.aspx

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi Anna,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Please see my answers next to your questions below.

Regards,

Anton.

Hi Anton,

Before moving on, I would like to collect the following information to troubleshoot the issue you encountered.

1. Are you using Office 365 small business trial version and if you have changed the name server records for your domain after your domain has been verified successfully in Office 365? Yes

2. After your domain is "Verified" in Office 365, have you changed your email address from username@yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com to username@yourdomain.com by following the steps below? No, I'm currently still using  username@yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com as my default.

"1). Log in Office 365 Portal and go to the Admin page.

2). Click Users under Management from the left navigation.

3). Check your display name and click Edit.

4). Go to Details under their display name and check the dropdown list besides User name and select your own domain.

5). Click Save". Is this necessary?

3. If you are using username@yourdomain.com to send and receive emails, could you send and receive emails from internal users in your organization successfully?

Could you send out messages to external users? Could you receive messages from external users?

4. Since you mentioned "new messages get bounced", would the sender get any non-delivery report(NDR) about this failure?

If so, could you please post the whole NDR here for us to troubleshoot it.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

add-me@add-me.co.za

all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: <anton@obj.co.za>

Received: from artemis.jhb.wbs.co.za ([41.213.80.50]:47276 helo=mail.iburst.co.za)

by mail.wbs.co.za (SATURN) with esmtps

(Cipher TLSv1:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:256)   (Exim 4.77 #2 (EximConfig 2.5))

id 1S4zAg-0004DK-QL  

for <add-me@add-me.co.za>; Tue, 06 Mar 2012 20:31:38 +0200

Received: from [41.56.40.54] (port=49361 helo=AntonPC)

by mail.iburst.co.za (ARTEMIS) with esmtp   (Exim 4.77 #2 (EximConfig 2.5))

id 1S4zAf-0004vK-PP  

for <add-me@add-me.co.za>; Tue, 06 Mar 2012 20:31:38 +0200

To: <add-me@add-me.co.za>

Subject: Test

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 20:31:37 +0200

Message-ID: <000f01ccfbc7$5e85c330$1b914990$@co.za>

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0010_01CCFBD8.220E9330"

X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook 12.0

Thread-Index: Acz7x13SQ+Tg3q6yRlWaQ2cKt/Iv5w==

Content-Language: en-za

X-GeoIP: ZA|South Africa

X-EximConfig: v2.5 on mail.iburst.co.za

X-SA-Do-Not-Run: Yes

X-GeoIP:

X-EximConfig: v2.5 on mail.wbs.co.za

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CCFBD8.220E9330

Content-Type: text/plain;

charset="us-ascii"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Test

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CCFBD8.220E9330

Content-Type: text/html;

charset="us-ascii"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" = xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" = xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" = xmlns:m=3D"schemas.microsoft.com/.../omml" = xmlns=3D"www.w3.org/.../REC-html40"><head><META = HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 = (filtered medium)"><style><!--

/* Font Definitions */

@font-face

{font-family:"Cambria Math";

panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}

@font-face

{font-family:Calibri;

panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}

/* Style Definitions */

p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal

{margin:0cm;

margin-bottom:.0001pt;

font-size:11.0pt;

font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}

a:link, span.MsoHyperlink

{mso-style-priority:99;

color:blue;

text-decoration:underline;}

a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed

{mso-style-priority:99;

color:purple;

text-decoration:underline;}

span.EmailStyle17

{mso-style-type:personal-compose;

font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";

color:windowtext;}

.MsoChpDefault

{mso-style-type:export-only;}

@page WordSection1

{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;

margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}

div.WordSection1

{page:WordSection1;}

--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>

<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" /> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit"> <o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" /> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-ZA link=3Dblue = vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p = class=3DMsoNormal>Test<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CCFBD8.220E9330--

5. Is your requirement currently to only host your emails on Office 365 instead of SharePoint website?

I would like my emails to redirect (not forwarded) but without a sharepoint site. i might at a later stage register a domain specifically for this but don't have one now.

If this is the case, you could try to change the name server records back to your domain host, after this, add corresponding DNS records at your domain registrar for Exchange Online.

The current issue is that i can't (after changing the ns records) login to my domain's control panel. I can also not change it in the portal site.

Please refer to the picture below:

You need to add the MX record, CNAME record and TXT/SPF record manually for your domain to work with Exchange Online.

In the above mentioned setup would the mesages be redirected to my echange account or forwarded leaving a copy on the server?

You could also refer to the link below for detailed information about it:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../hh416759.aspx

Thanks,

Anna Guo

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

• Hi Anton,

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your description, if you are still using  username@yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com as email address and have not changed the email address as username@yourdomain.com. You could only receive messages sent to username@yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com in Office 365.  Emails sent to username@yourdomain.com would be bounced back.

If you would like to use username@yourdomain.com to send and receive emails, please follow the 5 steps I posted before to change the email address' suffix. After doing this, others would be able to send messages to you.

When you mentioned that you "would like my emails to redirect (not forwarded)", do you want to redirect the messages from Office 365 to another account or redirect other messages to your Office 365 account?

Moreover, according to the NDR, are you using anton@obj.co.za as email address? I have checked the DNS records for this domain and have not found the required DNS records of this domain.

Therefore, could you provide your domain and your email address for us to further research?

Since this is your privacy, I will send a private message to you to request this information. Therefore, you could reply me through private message.

To access the private message with the subject of <Account Information>:

1.Please go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.

2.Click Private messages.

3.Click the subject title of the response to read the message and reply with your domain and email address information.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi Anton,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi Anna,

Just checking if you received the response on the PM you sent me?

regards,

Anton.

• Hi Anton,

Thanks for your reply and private message.

I have done some research for the three domains and I would like to confirm if you would like to use any of them in Office 365.

If this is the case, you need to add required DNS records for these domains at your domain registrar and then verify your domains in Office 365 in order for your domains to work with Office 365.

Since you are using Office 365 Small Business version, please refer to the link below to verify a domain at any domain name registrar:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg584174.aspx

From your description, you have created a user using username@yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com to send and receive emails, if you would like the user to receive emails sent both to username@yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com and user@yourdomain.com in Office 365, you need to verify this domain in Office 365 first and then change the user's email address from Users Profile to be user@yourdomain.com. The username@yourdomain.onmicrosoft.com email address would become the user's proxy email address (email alias) automatically and the user would be able to send messages from user@yourdomain.com.

If you would like the user to change the reply address according to which email address the sender sent, it would not be possible to achieve this in Office 365. You have to change the reply address manually every time you send messages to different recipients, the reply email address could not change automatically according to the sent address.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi Anton,

Thanks for your reply on the private message.

Based on your description, I would like to comfirm if you have added any of your domains in Office 365, if so, could you please point it out for me? I have checked the DNS records for these domains and do not find any DNS record that related to Office 365.

Moreover, since you would like to change the name server records for your add-** domain, I would suggest you first change the name server records back to your previous domain host, wait for some time and then change the name server records to Office 365.

Please note that the primary and secondary name servers of Office 365 are ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com and ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com respectively.

Here is the link about it for your reference:

Change name server records at a domain registrar

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg549203.aspx

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi Anton,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo