No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

domain name servers update error

• 4 Followers
  • 27 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

We are on the Microsoft Office 365 Plan P1. We were trying to update our domain name server records to point to Office 365. We are based in Ireland and the location signed up for/configured is Ireland.

We were unable to update the name servers on our own with our domain provider - LetsHost.ie , we kept on receiving an error message for the second name server. To make sure we were doing everything right we asked their tech support to do it for us. They responded that  they had tried to update the DNS servers  to ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com, ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com But unfortunately ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com had failed. 
They asked us to contact microsoftonline.com to make sure that there is a correct DNS zone in that DNS server ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com for our domain name.

the exact error:
Verification result for prosperity.ie on OK: Thu Dec 22 15:30:35 2011 Verifying zone for prosperity.ie on name server ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com

OK: Thu Dec 22 15:30:13 2011
OK: Verifying zone prosperity.ie.
OK: Starting verification from server ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com
OK: Requesting NS list for zone prosperity.ie. from ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com
OK: Checking ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com for authority
OK: Requesting SOA for zone prosperity.ie. from server ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com
OK: Querying server ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com as ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com
OK: Requesting SOA for zone prosperity.ie. from server ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com
OK: Querying server ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com as ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com
OK: Authoritative answer for prosperity.ie./SOA (2007070100) from server ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com
OK: Authoritative answer for prosperity.ie./SOA (2007070100) from server ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com
OK: Authoritative answers obtained from 2 nameservers
OK: Verification successfully completed for zone prosperity.ie.
OK: Thu Dec 22 15:30:35 2011
OK: Thu Dec 22 15:30:35 2011
OK: Verifying zone prosperity.ie.
OK: Starting verification from server ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com
OK: Requesting NS list for zone prosperity.ie. from ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com
FATAL: Could not obtain NS list for zone prosperity.ie. from ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com
OK: Querying server 65.55.63.215 as 65.55.63.215
FATAL: No authoritative answers obtained
FATAL: Verification failed for zone prosperity.ie.
FATAL: Thu Dec 22 15:31:26 2011

Can someone please look into this? 

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi Karolina,

After checking the information you provided, I notice that your domain registrar provider could not verify the PTR record. Based on the current situation, please contact your domain registrar and ask they to help to add the Name Server record ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com directly to avoid the PTR verification.

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• Top 100 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Josephine,

I said in my post that we had already contacted them, and they sent us back to Microsoft. They said ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com had failed, and advised we should talk to microsoftonline to have this problem sorted.

Has anything been changed, so that when they try again they will get a different result?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Karolina,

I understand that you had contacted the domain registrar provider before and I appreciate your time and effort on the issue. I just recommend you contact them again, and ask them to skip the PTR verification when adding the Name Server record ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com. Please check if this method works.

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• Top 100 Contributor
  • Hi,

We have asked them to try again - skipping PTR verification this time. Their reply:

Unfortunately it is not possible to skip PTR verification when adding DNS servers as this is a requirement from the IEDR. The regulatory body over .ie domain names.

If Microsoft would provide me A record you would use LetsHosts DNS servers and point everything to Microsoft.

Is their suggestion to the problem right? Can you provide us with the A record and then they would point everything to Microsoft that way?

Rgds,

Karolina

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Karolina,

Based on the current situation, please try to set up DNS records manually at the domain registrar without switching Name Server records.

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• Top 100 Contributor
  • Hi Karolina,

How are the things going? Do you have any updates about the status of the issue?

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• Top 100 Contributor
  • Hi Josephine,

You said we should leave the nameservers as they are and "change the DNS records manually at the domain registrar without switching Name Server records."

Could you please explain what we should change the DNS records to?

Best regards,

Karolina

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Karolina,

To use your custom domain in Office 365 for Small Business without redirecting the name server records to Office 365, you will need to add the required DNS records for Office 365 services. The DNS records information can be found by performing the following steps:

1. Log in Office 365, click Admin.
    2. Click Domains on the left panel, select your domain and click Manage DNS.
    3. The required DNS records such as MX record and CNAME record can be found on the opening page.

For more information, you can refer to the following article:
    Add your domain to Office 365 without redirecting your name server records to Office 365
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/hh416759.aspx#bkmk_config

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Hi Karolina,

Just checking in to see whether the previous information provided by Mindy was helpful. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks,
    Josephine

• Top 100 Contributor
  • Hi Josephine,

We are testing it with a different domain - designjobs.ie

We cannot risk a disruption in the emails here in the office here as this is by no means something that we can choose the time for and we could have a lot of people suddenly not receiving emails.

We have followed the instructions for designjobs.ie and now, about 20 hours later, we are still waiting for the changes to take place and for the emails to be sent to office365 rather than our current mail servers. I understand this can take up to 72 hours?

Rgds,

Karolina

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Karolina,

Thank you for your update.

I agree to wait for two more days to check the result. If the issue persists, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• Top 100 Contributor
  • Hi Josephine,

We have used the instructions to set up designjobs.ie.

I have changed the MX, CNAME and TXT records with our hosting provider  and I added the email account to my outlook. I used the POP/SMTP settings provided by Microsoft.

I receive emails both in desktop outlook and online one, but the emails I sent from the desktop outlook are not showing up in the "sent items" in outlook. Can you please advise what might be causing the problem?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Karolina,

I understand that you change the MX, CNAME and TXT records to point the vanity domain to Office 365. However, the emails sending from Outlook do not appear in the Send Items mailbox.

I would like to confirm if you could find the sending emails in Send Items in Outlook Web App?

To troubleshoot the issue, I suggest you create a new mail profile in Outlook by following these steps below:
    1.Close Outlook.
    2.Open the Control Panel and click Mail.
    3.Click Show Profiles, and click Add to create a new profile, cancel the add new account wizard and make sure the new profile was selected as the Always use this profile when start outlook.
    4. Log into Office 365, click Downloads. Re-run the Office Desktop Apps.
    5. Open Outlook, and add a new Office 365 account to check if the issue can be fixed.

Best regards,
    Josephine Meng

• Top 100 Contributor
  • Hi Josephine,

I am already using a desktop outlook app and I have a lot of email addresses in it, and a lot of emails that I cannot lose. Would downloading the outlook app remove my own outlook that I have been using for the past couple of years?

Also, the problem is that whatever I send is not uploaded to the other outlook. So - if I send an email from the desktop outlook, it is in the sent items on the desktop outlook, but not in the online app, whatever I send from the online app is in the sent items in the online app but does not get uploaded to the desktop outlook

I receive emails in both desktop outlook and the online outlook app.

We want to make sure all emails will be accessible from the desktop as well as from the online app, so how do we connect the sent items in those two?

Please advise,

Karolina

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1|2|