No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Next steps for error 'We can't connect to the specified SharePoint site...'

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I am a MS partner with a valid Office 365 E3 subscription. I have been using the sync library via SkyDrive Pro feature for the last couple of months. However, recently all my site collections and any new SP site  collections are returning the following error 'We can't connect to the specified SharePoint site...' after I click the 'Sync' option in the document page on a SP site.

I have tried to uninstall then delete all my 'synced' site collections and then reinstall my SD pro. After the reinstall of SD pro I attempted to sync my site collections again and the same error message appears.

Maybe I'm not as this help page references 'entering the Web address of the SharePoint library you want to sync' correctly?

Any thoughts?

Brad

All Replies
  • Hi Brad,

Based on your tags, you are using Office 365 Small Business plan pre-upgrade version. If this is not correct, please provide us the correct information. Otherwise, please continue below.

You are right, if you have chosen to sync a different library such as a team site library but entered an invalid web address of the SharePoint library, you could get this error message. Make sure that the SharePoint library you enter is correct and existing.

Keep in mind the following restrictions and limitations related to syncing SharePoint libraries:

• SkyDrive Pro can sync up to 20,000 items in the SkyDrive Pro library, including folders and files. For other libraries, such as libraries on team sites, SkyDrive Pro can sync up to 5000 items, including folders and files.

• You cannot upload files with names that contain any of the following characters: \ /:* ? ” < > | # { } % ~ &

• Make sure that you did not exceed the character limit for files and folders. These limits apply to files and folders that you add to a synced library folder for uploading to SharePoint. In normal practice, you’re unlikely to hit these limits. But I’ll mention them here, just in case:

• File names can have up to 128 characters
    • Folder names can have up to 256 characters
    • Folder name/file name combinations can have up to 260 characters
    • If you have a file, folder, or combination that exceeds the limit, the item will remain in the synced library folder, and an error icon will appear on the item to tell you that there’s a sync problem.

If all restrictions and limitations have been checked and followed correctly and  still getting the error message, please provide us the following  information so we can help you find a better solution:

1. You mentioned that this action works successfully before. Was there any changes made to your computer prior to getting this error message (for example: any renamed folders, file name or paths, software upgrades, etc.)

2. Is this error only happens to some or a specific SharePoint site?

3. Your Internet Explorer version (also if 32 bit or 64 bit).

4. Your Operating System.

5. Screenshot of the error message.

Thank you,

Paul Banez

• I am certain that the sync restrictions and limitations are not the issue due to my cohort [another site admin] not having any sync issues.

1. You mentioned that this action works successfully before. Was there any changes made to your computer prior to getting this error message (for example: any renamed folders, file name or paths, software upgrades, etc.)

One change that I performed toward the site was to add a 'test user' to the site and then grant that user edit rights to one of the site collections. I may have changed my rights in the process; unknowingly. Is there a way to see if my access rights are correct?

2. Is this error only happens to some or a specific SharePoint site?

It happens at all the site collections (approx. 7)

3. Your Internet Explorer version (also if 32 bit or 64 bit).

Using v10 (32bit)

4. Your Operating System.

Windows 8 

5. Screenshot of the error message.

• Hi Brad,

Please refer to the steps below to change check your permissions on a site:
    - Go to site settings of the specific site.
    - Click Site permissions.
    - Click Check permissions.
    - Input your account and Check Now to check your permissions.

In addition, you can follow these steps to narrow down this issue and let me know the result:
    1. Add the URL https://<yourtenantname>.sharepoint.com to the trusted site.
    2. Make sure the WebClient service is enabled.
    3. Login to the SharePoint Online site with your Office 365 credentials. Make sure that you select the Keep me signed in check box.
    4. Change the UAC settings :
    - Open Control Panel.
    - Select User Accounts.
    - Click Change User Account Control settings.
    - Change the UAC Settings, make sure it’s at lowest setting or off.

Thanks,
    Eben Liu

• Interestingly I found (2) accounts when I started to type my first name in the 'Check Permissions' text box:

As shown above, the second user was a test 'share' to my wife's email [I don't remember the steps I performed to share to this email address]. 

The other account in the check permissions drop down list was my 'good' account with full access.

Q's:

(1) where do I go to manage my primary bagxxx@hotmail.com live account that would allow me to remove the the eaxxx.gmail.com 'account association'.

(2) what did I do to associate the eaxxx.gmail.com account? I don't want to repeat this.

(3) I also have a banner that says 'show unique permissions'... when clicking the link the following microfeed dialogue box comes up... not clear how this got associated?

Regarding your last request to make sure my machine is not blocking the connection... I have not done this given that: (1) three different machines are producing the same error messages and (2) it was syncing fine previously. Let me know if you think I need to go down the UAC road.

Thanks!

• HiBrad,

I will answer your questions one by one:

Q1:where do I go to manage my primary bagxxx@hotmail.com live account that would allow me to remove the the eaxxx.gmail.com 'account association'.

The Gmail account is the external user account. When you shared your site to external user, if his account is not Microsoft Live account, you need to associate it to a Microsoft Account. In this situation, i suggest you log into to your hotmail account--Account settings--Account aliases to check if you can remove the Gmail alias.
    Note: If you remove the association, the user cannot user Gmail account to access the SharePoint Online.

Q2:what did I do to associate the eaxxx.gmail.com account? I don't want to repeat this.

Account to the screenshots, I guess you added the Gmail account as the alias of the hotmail account, so when you input the alias, the primary hotmail account will disappear. If you are using Office 365 small business, there is no SharePoint admin center to manage the user's profile, so this external user cannot be edited and removed in SharePoint Online.

Q3: I also have a banner that says 'show unique permissions'... when clicking the link the following microfeed dialogue box comes up... not clear how this got associated?

Generally, the list and library will inherit permissions from the site, if you have the list or library's to stop inheriting permissions, you can custom the list or library's permission separately. Then the list or library has the unique permissions. About the unique permissions, you can refer to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/edit-permissions-for-a-list-library-or-individual-item-HA102833689.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA102771919.

As a troubleshooting step, I suggest you change the UAC setting to check if it works.

Thanks,
    Eben Liu

• Hi Bran,

How are thing going? If there is anything unclear, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Eben Liu

• Eben -- regarding my 6/19/2013 6:38 AM post... I followed the recommendations and am still unable to un-associate the eaxxx.gmail.com from my bageexx@hotmail.com (primary microsoft) account.

Sharepoint continues to 'deny access' when I try to access a resource such as:

https://pbhcpa.sharepoint.com/xxxx/Shared%20Documents/2013/Request%20List/004%20-%20devices%20to%20not%20be%20tested.doc 

Do you have any other suggestions ??

Again please see my original 6/17/2013 8:51 AM  post for an outline of issues.

Thank you,

Brad

• Hi Brad,
    Please check whether the external user's profile is bagxxx@hotmail.com.
    To verify the users profile, we could search the user in SharePoint Admin Center as the page below:

Best Regards,
    Andy Sek

• Hi Brad,

Does  your account work fine now? Please get back to us with updates when you have time.

Thanks,
    Andy Sek

•  I searched for 'Brad' and (2) 'Account Names' came up... the one you see below (SS) and another with eageex&gmail.com in the 'Preferred Name' column.

-- I deleted the eageex account name; then I tried to 'Sync'

-- I get the following error message:

• I wanted to show you the error message I am getting when 'sky drive pro' is attempting to sync with the root of my SP site.

How do I troubleshoot the 'unauthorized' message?

• Hi bluboffice,

Can you enter the button 'Enter Credentials' to troubleshoot the 'Unauthorized' issue?
    By the way, to protect your information privacy, I will send private message to you to collect some information.
    Here are the steps to access the Private Message:
    1. Please go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.
    2. Click Private messages.
    3. Click the subject title of the response to read the message.

Best Regards,
    Andy Sek

• I have a small business premium office 365 account.  I have been able to set up my main skydrive folder but when I try to share or sync a sharepoint site i.e. like my one that is automatically set up with my account I get the above error message.  I believe all my permissions are set up correctly and I have no idea when you say "UAC" how exactly do you access that.  but either way I do know understand why I don't have the ability to sync my sharepoint account.  

• Hi Christian,

Generally, the similar issue may be caused by different root reasons. So, in order to resolve this issue efficiently, I suggest you post a new thread with the following information. Our engineer will focus on that to assist you:

- Do you get the error message when you click SHARE and SYNC in the screenshot below?

- Which site do you want share or sync? Is it team site?

- Have you installed SkyDrive Pro client application?

- Provide the steps you have done to sync your SharePoint account.

- Provide the screenshot of the error message when posting a new thread.

In addition, here is a latest update of SkyDrive Pro for your reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2817469

Thanks,
    Eben Liu

• Has the OP problem been resolved? We have precisely the same thing happening on a recent deployment of Office 365. I've followed the suggested fixes with no change in the results. The same account seems to work fine from a different PC.