No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

SMTP Relay - From address...

This question is answered This question is answered

There are numerous threads talking about SMTP relays and how to set them up.  One of the core problems is that the relay uses a single account in Office 365 AND the from address must match the e-mail address used to authenticate the relay.

For example, SAP wants to send e-mail from the logged in user, and sets the "From" address to the user's valid address.  However, when communicating with an SMTP server, it uses a single account to validate the connection and this account doesn't match the "from" address.

Is there a setting that will allow common accounts (like those used for applications and devices) to relay e-mails that are "from" other office 365 accounts?

Verified Answer
  • Hello MikePI,

Unfortunately, there isn't a setting that allows for that.  When you setup the relay you're essentially setting up an unusual client scenario that's still connected to just the one account.  The only way you'd be able to send from multiple accounts is to have separate SMTP relay profiles for each.

All Replies
  • Hello MikePI,

Unfortunately, there isn't a setting that allows for that.  When you setup the relay you're essentially setting up an unusual client scenario that's still connected to just the one account.  The only way you'd be able to send from multiple accounts is to have separate SMTP relay profiles for each.

• Thanks for the quick answer.

Unfortuneately, this isn't an "unusual client scenario", so hopefully Microsoft will add this to their list of stuff to work on.

• Hello Mike,

Apologies, when I said 'unusual client scenario' I didn't mean that this was unusual.  I mean that you are essentially creating a client that's unusual when compared to something like Outlook.  So it operates much in the same way a mail client like Outlook would, letting you send out through the account itself, and not through other accounts that it can't authenticate to.

• I have the same issue where one of my systems also sets the From and to address to the user's email address when sending out the notification. Therefore when I check the SMTP logs. Authentication is successful but then I get "550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender,"  All other systems using the relay go through just fine. Any ideas?

• Patrick,

In order to send e-mail through Office 365, the "from:" address must be the same as the address being authenticed in Office 365.

The following article has more details:  www.configureoffice365.com/.../configure-office-365-smtp-relay

Depending on your systems, it's not ideal, but it has worked well for many of my devices / applications.

For one of our accounting systems we had to switch to an outlook based e-mail integration, so that individual employee's could send e-mail via the accounting system.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• In my case, I can not change the from address for this device. The device does not offer that capability. It is automatically the same as the to address.